Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking steaks

Options
muttin
muttin Posts: 45
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am fairly new to the BGE and i normally cook my steaks at high temp for around 2 min a side and then shut the egg down and them the finish off. but last night i cooked some thick pork chops and my wife wanted salmon so i seared the pork then took them off let the egg come down to about 350 and then put them back on to finish and at that time i put the salmon on too They turned out great. my question is has anyone done this with steaks ? i am sure it will turn out good too but just looking for a little advice because i have to cook for 15 people in a couple days and i am not going to be able to try it before then. or should i do it the way i was before ?

thanks 

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    It sounds like you're almost doing the Trex method.

Nakedwhiz has a good write-up for it at:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Yes, as VI said, it's basically the Trex method.  However, there's even a variation to that, which I tend to prefer. 

Rather than trying to get your ENTIRE Egg up to such a high temp, you can purchase a smaller grate & put it right over top of your coals. 

So, when you light the Egg, keep the dome open & put the grate on the coals, then sear the steaks as normal.  Then, allow them to rest (I usually cover mine in foil - this is also the time I'll add my rub of choice).  While they are resting, remove the small grate, put in the regular grate, then close the dome, start adjusting your vents, get it to whatever temp you want (I usually shoot for ~350-400).  Then, put your steaks back on & roast to whatever internal temp you want (I usually pull mine around 130-135).

The reason I prefer this method is that the first time I tried the Trex method - I spent over an HOUR trying to get the Egg to come back down to the lower temp, and by that time, the steaks weren't only "rested" - they were ASLEEP!!! 
    :))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Good point, HH. Once that dome gets warmed up at a high temp, you're 'screwed' trying to get it back down.
    I use a spider and CI grid and sear with the dome open. One bit of advice is to shut the bottom vent just before removing the steaks from the sear. Gives just a little head start on dropping the temp...