Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Pepper Season

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Our local H.E.B. store is selling Hatch Peppers  for 99¢ per pound if anyone is interested.

I know they are popular among a lot of Eggheads but I don't know how to cook with them.  Hopefully, someone will jump in and give us some clues.

Spring "Down The Hatch" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    If you can find someone with a special-made chile roaster, that's the easiest way to do it with larger quantities (I used to buy a bushel each year).  
    The guy I used to use would bring a semi-load up from Hatch at the end of each summer and roast them to-order in his backyard.  Some bozo left her bag of roasted chile in her car a couple days before using, got sick, complained, and now Utard requires a permit; my source got so disgusted he just retired.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm gonna have to google a new source, surely there's someone nearby who springs for the permit...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Leroy,
    First, you've got to roast them and peel them.  I learned how to make Chicken Enchiladas, New Mexico Style in Taos.

In a greased casserole pan, layer corn tortillas (laid flat), hatch chiles (chopped), cooked chicken (shredded), and yellow cheese. When finished, add another layer.  Cook (on egg) until cheese is bubbly (about 20 minutes at 350.  Works in the oven too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious