Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to cure a Rutland gasket?

Options
Spoon
Spoon Posts: 328
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am putting on a Rutland gasket today. How long do in need to cure it at 250? It shouldn't be a problem if I am doing a low and sloe butt tomorrow, should it?

Thanks in advance.
"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I put my Rutland on, waited a few hours, put the lid back on and set the lid down.  I then let it sit overnight (20 hours or so) before firing it up for the first time.  Never heard of "curing it" at a certain temperature??
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• climbing egg
    Options
    I put my lid on right after I finished installing it. Lit a low fire for an hour or so and then put it out. I cooked steaks the next day and haven't had any problems since. Sounds to me there is no "correct" way. I have pics of the whole process if you would like to see.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    I put my lid on right after I finished installing it. Lit a low fire for an hour or so and then put it out. I cooked steaks the next day and haven't had any problems since. Sounds to me there is no "correct" way. I have pics of the whole process if you would like to see.
    I would like to see them.  Thanks.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I put mine on and reinstalled the lid.  Let it set about 30 hours and did a T-rex steak cook with no problems.  I don't think the Ultra Copper needs the additional heat to cure, but as said above I think the correct way is the way it works for you.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE