Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cooking more than 1 pork butt...help

Options
Mudflap
Mudflap Posts: 69
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE and would like to cook 3 or 4 pork butts. I did a search and saw a lot of different setups, so I know I can fit that many. I'm afraid that they will be touching and will increase cook time by a lot. Normal cook time is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per lb on a single. But what should I plan for if they are touching...or not touching? Oh, this is also for a tailgate so I can't just wait longer to finish them. We need to leave early in the morning to get a good spot.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Jeremy,

If you keep them from touching (a little bit is ok since they will shrink somewhat while cooking), then you can figure 1.5 hr per # based on the heaviest one. If you 'slam them up together' then 1.5 hr per total weight of the two. You can put some sort of spacer btwn them. I have used wooden skewers to push them apart, but you get the idea.
    Good luck and post some pics when you're done!