Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife forgot to defrost Pork Butt for today's cook

Options
windnsea26
windnsea26 Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had asked my wife to defrost a 9lb pork butt last night and she did it for about 5 hours and then put it back in the fridge (dunno why). I went to put it on the Egg this morning and it was not fully defrosted, maybe 75-80%. I was going to do a high temp pork butt cook today but maybe now, I'll have to add another hour or two to the cook.

Anyone else ever have this happen to you?
I hope this turns out okay. I have a bunch of soccer children coming over later.

P.S. I'm also cooking tri tip and drumsticks though too.
San Diego, CA

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I am not sure how it would respond to a high temp cook. You could go normal until you hit the plateau and then crak it up or foil the butt.

Your egg will finish the defrosting for you and definitely add some time to the cook. Let us know how you turned out.
  • windnsea26
    Options
    It came out okay still. I normally do the high temp butt cook which for a 8-9lb roast can be done in about 5-6 hours. It still had a good bark and was nice and moist inside. I yanked it out when it hit about 195 and let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours.
    I was scared it wasn't going to be ready in time for our guests.
    San Diego, CA
  • windnsea26
    Options
    It came out okay still. I normally do the high temp butt cook which for a 8-9lb roast can be done in about 5-6 hours. It still had a good bark and was nice and moist inside. I yanked it out when it hit about 195 and let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours.
    I was scared it wasn't going to be ready in time for our guests.
    San Diego, CA