Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings help

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, don't laugh. I have had my egg for several years and have yet to make wings. Today, the wife shows up with a pack of frozen wings and said she saw the neighbor at the store and tomorrow, we are supposed to bring wings over for appetizers. I have a few questions:[p]1) What temp
2) Raised grid, regular height or indirect
3) Thaw first or place frozen directly on the egg
4) How long should I expect these to cook; I wan't them to come off the egg and serve them hot, rather than have them done too soon or be late for the gathering.[p]For seasoning, I plan on dusting half with Tsunami Spin and the others with garlic powder, lawry's salt & pepper.[p]Thanks in advance... and again, no laughing, LOL! I know they will turn out good, with the right advice.[p]Banker John

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Banker John,[p]You can't go wrong with Chef Rd's wings. Check out the DP site and get a recipe.
    I like to baste with a honey/bbq sauce mixture the last 10-15 minutes.
    Now, I need to clean my monitor. LOL[p]Mike

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Banker John,
    Those things actually come out alright. I would personally go at 275 direct on a raised grate. I would thaw them first, at least most of the way. When they start getting some good color and crust, work your temps up toward the 350 mark to crisp 'em up and caramelize 'em.[p]If they are small cut apart in individual sections, they'll prolly take 45 minutes or less. Large whole wings more like an hour and a half....ballpark.[p]Me anyways...
    Enjoy them, whatever you do!
    Hosting a birthday/slumber party with 8 or 9 ten year old girls tonight. Ordering pizza. LOL.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Banker John
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The wings are frozen and cut apart with no tips. So you are thinkin more in the 45 minute range on direct raised grid?[p]Banker John[p]BTW, Best of luck on the slumber party. If you want to spoil the girls with a fantastic treat, try the grilled banana split recipe located on QBabes Florida Eggfest recipe page. They taste great and are very easy prep & clean up. It has become a favorite for the girls here; it ranks up there with homemade sticky buns.

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Banker John, my favorite wings are marinated over night in tariyaki sauce. Cook on raised grill direct at 275/300 with just a few hickory chips and turn every 10 or 15 minutes. Jim.

• Banker John
    Options
    jbrodie,
    How long do they take at 275/300 on a raised grid?[p]Banker John

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Banker John,
    They take me about 40 to 45 minutes. You can tell when they are done by watching them as you turn them. Move them to different parts of the grill as you turn them. Jim.