Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked sausage help

Options
brisket30
brisket30 Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some raw coil sausage from my local butcher. I have not found any low and slow recipes. I am trying to achieve something similar to a sausage sandwich like from a KC BBQ establishment. What are some suggestions for putting a rub on them and also how to get a smoke ring through the natural casing on the sausage. I am planning on cooking it Sunday and will post pics later.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If it is truly RAW and does not contain a curing agent you should poach it then grill/smoke it.You should NEVER smoke raw sausages that are not made with a cure.The cure inhibits bacteria while the sausage is slowly smoking at low heat danger zone enviroment.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Brisket30, when you say KC BBQ establishment, are you referring to Gates? If so, I have also wanted to duplicate their sausage as well. I lived in KC for over 15 years and loved their sausage. From what I recall, it was done without casing. I never think of while I am at the store buying the goods for my cooks. But, I plan on taking sausage and forming a roll, maybe with a binder to help hold it together. Then smoking it indirect on the grid. This process came to mind when I started doing my meatloafs on the grid vs. in a loaf pan. This should get you close to Gates sausage.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    sounds like a fatty....do a search for fatty
    and that may help.
  • brisket30
    Options
    I have recently moved from KC to NW IA and although Gates is good, my all time favorite is Jack Stack. The smoked sausage sandwhich I am trying to duplicate is from Arthur Bryant's.

- Ben
  • brisket30
    Options
    I will ask my butcher if it contains cure or not. That is really good advice, thanks a lot. I know when I asked him about it all he said was its raw and must be cooked.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    this was fresh keilbasi, skin removed smoked around 250/275 raised grid direct. i just skinned and rolled it. havent been happy with sausage smoked at those temp with the skin on, it shrinks and puckers unless i go hotter. the really low cook temps 140/160 get an ice water bath as they come up to temp to prevent that and then they go back on a hot grill later
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • brisket30
    Options
    The coil sausage does NOT containt cure. I think I will poach it in some Beer tonight, let it cool in the fridge until Saturday then low and slow on Sunday.

What internal temp? 160?