Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nuts, bolts and springs

Options
ThinkandDrive
ThinkandDrive Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My father built an awesome table for my larage BGE.

Now it looks a litlte shabby in it's shiny new home. I want to replace the bolts that hold on the bands and the nuts that hold the handle on. I'm assuming these are standard sized.

One of the springs is also rusting (the other is not, oddly).

Can I source these from a big box hardware store? Is there a sizing guide?

How tough is the spring replacement on the hinge?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    have someone hold the dome open, the spring easily pops of with a screwdriver or pliers. takes a couple minutes the first time, a few seconds after that. you need someone holding the dome open to relax the spring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    If it were me, I would go to a dealer and see if I could get BGE parts, especially the springs.
    If you want to remove the springs, it is a lot easier to do with the dome open. Also, the dome could fall without the springs so be carefull not to let it fall and break. Be carefull, if the slip off with tension they could hurt if they hit you.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    definitely wear some glasses. i had to get the springs shipped from atlanta when mine failed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    Safety glasses are always a must. Norm Abram says so.

Maybe I'll just do the gasket replacement now and put in an oder for misc parts with the Mothership for the rest.