Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
frankwa
frankwa Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning Everyone--

I am cooking 3 (6lb) butts for a party around 6PM. I started them on the egg around 12 AM thinking that they would be done around 12PM and then I could wrap them up and rest till 6PM when we are eating. My question is they are already at a temp of 175 and will probably be done between 9-10AM. How long can I leave them in the cooler and what are my other options to keep them good till we want to eat?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You can slow cooling down by lowering the temperature. You didn't mention what the dome temp was. Double wrap in foil, put in cooler and pack with towels. Will be fine up to 4-6 hours.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    They may not be done quite as quickly as you think. Likely in the plateau now & that sometimes taks a while. That said, you can keep them in the cooler as long as you can keep them over 140. Warm the cooler first by pouring hot water in it to preheat it then dry it & add the butts. Another option is to wrap them in HDAF and put them in your oven at its lowest setting. Ours is 175, yours should be near that.
    Hope this helps.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    You'll be rockstar! The plateu, the temp rise will slow down here. Once you get out of it you'll see a steady rise again and have a better idea when you'll be done.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    They may get done by 10, but Ive had butts sit between 175 and 180 for 4 hours. As above, drop your dome temp a little, and or open the dome every 1/2 hour or so.

FWIW up to, and after the plateau, I've measured different pieces of meat rise by as much as 1 degree every 90 seconds. During the plateau, no increase for several hours.