Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: dust and small pieces?

Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for the eggsperts...Is there a practical use for the charcoal dust and too small to burn pieces from the bag? i.e. does it benefit the garden soil or is there another use? If I can use it for something then I would like to but if not then to the trash they go.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Some folks say it is good for soil and lawns. If I don't have a bag handy I will spread it over the lawn. Sometimes I put it in the garbage.

I do use the smaller pieces new or used in my cooks. If a piece will easily fall through the fire grate and is under the fire grate I don't bother saving it. If a small piece like that is in the lump bed I don't worry about clearing it out and getting rid of it.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i just dump it in the egg and light it, separating small pieces and dust is a waste of time :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    My wife has a flower bed right behind my eggs. When I clean out the eggs I throw the small pieces into it and vacuum out the dust. I have no idea if it helps the flowers or not, but it helps me! :laugh:
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    fishlessman wrote:
    i just dump it in the egg and light it, separating small pieces and dust is a waste of time :laugh:

Me too and I have never had any problems with fires. :laugh: :laugh:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You need to check your soil and find out if it is acidic or alkaline. If acidic, as mine is, charcoal improves the soil. My experience is that the improvement was somewhat dramatic. I've read that the porous charcoal will attract nutrients, and is a perfect home for root-hairs. So maybe that accounts for veggies double in size from the year previous.

I have had problems with lo-n-slos when I had lots of dust and bits. Very low air flow, and a long time coming to temperature. Likewise 2nd of 3rd use lump that has lots of ash.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yep, so do I. I burn everything but the bag. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman wrote:

Agreed!! :laugh: