Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Niagara EGGFEST 2011

Sailor71
Sailor71 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it's official. I've signed up as a cook for the first time. Looking forward to it. Anyone planning on a little after fest get together like last year, even though it is a Sunday.

Russell

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    Russell, good for you, looking forward to tasting your food! We cooked the past two years but undecided about cooking this year. It appears there's an official meet n greet Saturday, but not sure how an after party will pan out on a Sunday night.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    You will have a good time cooking at the fest. Space put your cooks so you have time to meet others and pass around your food. :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Funny you should say that.

I'm undecided about cooking this year too. A few days ago Anke asked me if we were registered to cook yet. I guess that means she expects to cook.

Michael
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I'm in, cooking. I leave Monday AM so I'm in for the after party as well.
  • You got that right Joan!
  • That awesome Patty, hope to see you there, I am cooking too. I have am being pressured to cook pizza's again.
  • PattyO
    Tentatively Oxtail Stew, Whole Wheat bread, Baklava.
    I'll have to pre-brown the oxtail and purchase the vegs at the local Wmart. Can't take raws over the border.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    PattyO wrote:
    Tentatively Oxtail Stew, Whole Wheat bread, Baklava.
    I'll have to pre-brown the oxtail and purchase the vegs at the local Wmart. Can't take raws over the border.

I buy groceries in the US all the time and bring them across. There are a few things you can't bring - but most you can.
  • PattyO
    I heard no raw produce or meat. Do you buy canned goods or fresh? I don't want anything to be confiscated.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    I buy meat, cheese, butter and a whole bunch of other stuff - some canned, some not. I wouldn't bring potatoes that have dirt clinging to them, and certain root vegetables might be an issue, but they are easy to get here.

I'm attaching the blurb from the CRA border website - there are a couple of links that can lead you to further information.

If there are certain things you want to be sure you will have, let me know and I'll pick them up and bring them for you.

"Food products, plants, animals and related products

All food, plants, animals, and related products must be declared. Food can carry disease, such as E. coli. Plants and plant products can carry invasive alien species, such as the Asian Long-Horned Beetle. Animals and animal products can carry diseases, such as avian influenza and foot-and-mouth disease. Furthermore, certain species of plants and animals are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and their trade is carefully controlled. Because of these risks, the Government of Canada regulates the import of certain food, plants, animals and related products to and from Canada.

Based on emerging threats, the import requirements for food, plants, animals and related products are subject to change on a daily basis. To determine the most up-to-date import requirements for these items, refer to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) at www.inspection.gc.ca. AIRS is an automated reference tool that will lead you through a series of questions about the food, plant, animal or related product you wish to import to determine the applicable regulations, policies and import requirements."
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I can not make this year's edition ... you will have a blast cooking.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I am really going to miss your pizza ... do you deliver?

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital