Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new toy ET-732

Options
DanB
DanB Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I took a ride up to Fred's yesterday after she said she wanted me to try cooking some ribs on the Egg now that we've had it for a couple months. So of course I picked up an ET-732 along with some rubs and sauces to try. Trying out the thermometer this evening on a center cut pork loin for practice. Baby steps. Used some rub that was leftover from last week's techniques class at Williams-Sonoma.

Threw some sliced onion, chopped cabbage, and chopped apple into the grill wok for a side. I like this one a lot more than the wire mesh one I used before. This one is stainless with square holes punched in it. It does the job and is easier to clean. Got it from Sur la Table. No, I don't have any affiliation with Fred's, Maverick, Williams-Sonoma, or Sur la Table other than being a customer.

- dan

Comments

• tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I think the Maverick should be part of the start up package with an Egg. You can watch the temp from anywhere you want and make sure that it is not climbing. Makes you sleep well on long over night butts..OH yeah the temp probe is only rated to 550 or there abouts so remember to not use it if you are doing a pizza or high temp sear,, they act funny for awhile..
  • DanB
    Options
    When I went to set the food temp limit, I think it went up to 600F before it cycled around. Wonder why they did that if you shouldn't use it above 550?

- dan
  • tacodawg
    Options
    Somewhere in the instructions it actually said what the max temp is but who reads the instructions...only after something goes wrong..
  • DanB
    Options
    I just looked. Both probes are good to 716F. The alarm limits can go up to 572F.

- dan
  • DanB
    Options
    Forgot to take pictures because I was too busy with getting stuff on the table and getting dessert going. Grilled pineapple with brown sugar and, of course, Pineapple Head. First time we've tried it. Tasty stuff.

- dan
  • tacodawg
    Options
    That's good cause mine went to over 600. I still works it was the alarm that was going off like crazy..I gues I did not read enough..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Used mine for the first time today on a butt starting about 6 this morning. Worked fine.
    Someday will have to get that Digi Q out of the box and try it. Each time I open the box and see all the parts I put it back up.
    Hay the ET-732 worked fine....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.