Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

marathon pizza cook

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
B) back for a quick visit and a hello to my old friends! Been eggin for about 8 years and still lovn it. Just cleaned the large and preburned a 20 lb bag of lump, lost all my arm hair with the meanest flashback I've ever encountered!

Anyway, got myself into it this time. Invited 30-40 over for a make and bake pizza party, BAI (Bring An Ingredient). Will be doing about 15 pizzas consecutively on the 4th and stop when the fireworks start up.

Changed the gasket first (which might have been a mistake), but the Large is ready for pizza and the small will be cranking out hot wings all evening. Should be interesting, fun, and maybe even without the help of the oven (just in case....).

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sounds like a blast! Ironically, we are having neighbors over for a pizza party on the 4th as well! (Didn't think of the BAI though...hmmmm) I am guessing it will be their first time making pies, so we will have 2 larges fired, just in case there are delays.
    What kind of gasket did you install?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Gasket,smasket,.....Cook some goodies and FUGETTABOUTIT! Happy times to you and yours! ;)
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    on my second cook ever, the ex fried the original gasket burning off the grill. I bought two gaskets then. Haven't needed to replace it til now, so it's the same thing they used 8 years ago. I have another that Toyman sent me, I think it's Cotronics or something like that. Don't know if those held up over the years, so I just stayed with what works.

My small gets the majority of the work. Will be needing to replace the gasket someday. Did BGE ever come up with anything?
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Damn that is quite a plan. You will be busy. I watched and sampled as 3 guys did 18-20 pizza's at an Eggfest a few weeks back. They had 2 larges going and it was perfect.Are you making the dough? Good times.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    We used Cotronix for a NUMber of years. They held up extremely well! High temp burn offs, etc, were never an issue. Though after about 3 years (of HARD use I will add) they started to decline. We just switched to Rutland. And as Hoss said, a gasket is not going to make or break you. I just don't like the thought of ceramic coming down on ceramic if somebody doesn't know to be careful when lowering the dome. You may burn off the felt gasket tomorrow...just yank it, and continue. Since you are dealing with a new gasket and pizza, I would suggest Platesetter, legs up....grid, and pizza stone. You won't concentrate as much heat toward the gasket that way.
    As far as BGE resolving their gasket issues...well, we can continue to dream I guess. :S Maybe the new Steamroller in charge will address it.... :ermm: :woohoo: :pinch:
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Awesome!!!! That is a lot of pizza!! Can you do that with one load of lump in the egg?
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    My record is 17 pizzas (college aged son brought friends over......). I only use Wicked Good or a similarly heavy, dense lump for long high heat cooks like a pizza party.

Enjoy!!