Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Egg

mrsroasting
mrsroasting Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a used 2 yr Large Egg in my area for sale. It comes with the plate setter, rib rack, ash tool, nest and cover and is about $375 less than all of this new. Is that a deal, not a deal? I know the warranty doesn't transfer.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    As long as you inspect the inside and out for no cracks anywhere I would say YES! Just make sure you clean it out and pull out the fire ring and fire box to inspect everywhere.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    sounds like a deal to me. inspect the base for a crack, you want to look under the egg starting at the lower corner of the bottom vent. doesnt happen often, but thats where they sometimes crack, from the corner of the vent right across the center of the bottom
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    You know, you've gotten a lot of great responses from both Forums about the two brands of cookers you are considering.

Now, I'm not saying that price should not be a consideration, because it is.... but also look at the value, taking into consideration the features you want. In many cases (and not just with ceramic cookers) value over the long run is more important than saving money today.

Whichever cooker you decide on, I'll bet you a buck that within 48 hours of your first cook you will be asking yourself why you didn't purchase one sooner.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I have to agree with ThirdEye. After about the 3rd cook on my BGE the wife asked why I had not thought about buying one before now? She had always thought they were just way overpriced and my grill did just as good of a job. What made me start thinking about a BGE, this year, we were in Sevierville, TN at the Bluegrass and Bar-b-que. Just about every competitor had a BGE. I use to bar-b-que about one night a week on the gas grill. Now the wife wants me cooking something on the BGE every night I'm off. So if the BGE passes inspection, I would seriously consider it. IMO
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!