Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

? Wood Pellets

Desert Oasis WomanDesert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited 3:40PM in EggHead Forum
Have a bunch of wood pellets obtained from Eggfests .....
Gonna smoke some baby backs today...
Foil pouch? More than 1? More than 1 sample pack per foil pack?
Thanks
B)

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Just throw them in with the lump, I would think.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Some sort of container will be best. I have a cast iron container that holds about 1/2 a cup pellets that allows smoke to come out. You want to keep them tight like a chunk of wood. I just put in on the coals, so I would use a foil pouch with one or two toothpick holes to let the smoke release slowly. You only need 1/3 of a cup for each use.
  • What about stratifying a couple down in the lump and one on top of the lump?
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,248
    IMHO the foil pouch with a few holes as mentioned works great. Used to just throw them onto the coals and many found their way to the bottom and were wasted.
  • Thanks, Lady and Gents B)
    Will let you know how this works out :)
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    There are pellets... they'll burn up in a heart beat or fall right through if you spread them around.
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    DOW,

Did you burn through all that wood already? :huh:
  • Was talking about putting packets at different levels -- which I did!
  • No, just trying to use up some older stuff!
    Saving what's left of the apple and cherry for other cooks!