Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip

Options
Chuck222
Chuck222 Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight we tried the Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip (Recipe from Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich). It was very tasty, our whole family cleaned their plates. We served it up with asparagus and corn, cooked up on the Egg. The corn was cooked in the husks and the asparagus was cooked in a little olive oil and lightly seasoned with Shaking The Tree (from Dizzy Pig). All in all, a very delicious dinner. I'll definitely cook this one again, but next time I'll try the Tri-Tip with a little less salt in the rub.

Tri_tip.jpg

asparagusrafts.jpg

tri_tip_plate.jpg

Best,

Chuck L.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I've had a number of comments about the amount of salt. Many cut the salt in the recipe by two thirds and every thing works out fine.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I am doing one tomorrow night with a chipotle rub.. how long and at what temp did you cook it. Some guys at eggfest made pizza with tri tip so if there is any left over that is my plan..It looks great
  • tacodawg
    Options
    Rich do you mind sharing what temp and how you cook your tri tip.. I am doing one tomorrow.. thanks
  • Chuck222
    Options
    Following Morro Bay Rich's recipe, I seared the Tri-Tip for three to four minutes per side at 600 degrees. I wrapped the roast in tin foil and I closed down the vents until the dome temp was 350 degrees. I then cooked the roast, basting it several times in olive oil, infused with garlic and red wine vinegar. When the roast reached 135 degrees I pulled it off the grid and foiled it for approx 15 minutes before serving.

Hope this helps. The Tri-Tip was approximately three pounds. It was on the grill and off the grill and back on the grill for about 40 minutes.

Chuck
  • Chuck222
    Options
    Following Morro Bay Rich's recipe, I seared the Tri-Tip for three to four minutes per side at 600 degrees. I wrapped the roast in tin foil and I closed down the vents until the dome temp was 350 degrees. I then cooked the roast, basting it several times in olive oil, infused with garlic and red wine vinegar. When the roast reached 135 degrees I pulled it off the grid and foiled it for approx 15 minutes before serving.

Hope this helps. The Tri-Tip was approximately three pounds. It was on the grill and off the grill and back on the grill for about 40 minutes.

Chuck
  • tacodawg
    Options
    Where do you sear at 600.. up high or down low.Do you have a link to Richs technique. Thanks
  • jzcc
    jzcc Posts: 123
    Options
    Cary & I tried this recipe a few nights ago. We, also, found it too salty. However, the overall flavor was [ul]outstanding[/ul]! When (not if) we do it again, we'll cut the salt by half if not more. If you haven't tried this, you should!
  • tacodawg
    Options
    Rich I have used the search but it seems the links to your famous style of cooking tri tips are not working for me.. It sounds like you sear at 5-600 degrees. Is this done high in the egg or down low first. You pull the meat then put back on at 350 and cook to temp. Thanks the links for your recipe via Smitty's did not work either. Thanks
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I just tried Smitty's link and it worked.

http://www.eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html
  • Chuck222
    Options
    I had a similar problem with the link. Here's the recipe I followed (lifted from the recipe file on my hard drive):

EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010
    Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Chuck L.
  • tacodawg
    Options
    I went to the Eggs by the Bay site and found it. Thanks it seemed some of the links were old and had changed. Any secrets you wish to share on getting the temp back down I am going to try this tonight. That looks like a non stock gasket.. I will see how this works. Looks delicious. Thank you.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    great looking meal!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    wow
    great cook!!!
    looks awesome!!!
    congrats
  • Morro Bay Rich