Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fired up my new egg for the first time yesterday. Have a lot to learn using the Egg, but it does make thing easy, even if I was winging it.

I grilled about 10lbs of flank steak and 10 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for fajitas. When I picked up my egg on Saturday, they told me not to go above 350 for the first 3-4 hours to give the adhesive a chance to cure so I didn’t. Figured I go easy the first time and although I wanted to do the flank steak at a high temp, I threw it on at about 400. (This was after having the Egg burning empty for about 3 hours at 325).

The steak and chicken were marinated in the first recipe you get when you Google “fajita marinade”. It was pretty much just standard grilling on the steaks, these things are pretty thin, I did flip them a few times and took them off using the touch test and they were about medium-well which is what I was looking for.

Threw the chicken on at about 400 as well. No raised grill, but I did not fully load the firebox. Probably took about 20 minutes for the chicken, once again removed with the touch test.

Got rave reviews from all the folks at our pot-luck. The chicken was a smash hit as it was moist and tender. The steak, sliced cross grain was also tender. I threw a chunk of pecan I had laying around on to give it a hint of smoke. Good thing is, as I have never done “bulk” fajitas before, we have a lot of left-overs. Get to try out making chicken and steak quesadillas in the Egg this week!

Another fun thing was we had a late arriving guest show-up with some pork and veggie skewers that were uncooked. I had already shut down the egg, so the fire was out (although the egg was still warm). My initial thought was to do them on my gasser but then I realized that I could get the egg going fast than that. Dumped some more lump in, fired it up, let it stabilize at 400, and grilled those up. Probably about 15 minutes and they came out great as well.

LOVE MY EGG!!!

Sorry, no pics this time. I was too excited to use the thing. Will have them in the future though.

Comments