Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kansas City BBQ Suggestions

Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In about a month, my son and I are taking off on an early morning Saturday flight to Kansas City to watch the Royals play the Tigers. We want to have a good BBQ lunch somewhere between the airport and the stadium. Any suggestions of a "do not miss" BBQ place in KC?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Wen't down a couple weeks ago for the Twins/Royals game. My friend who lives in K.C always takes anyone out of town to Arthur Bryant's. Has to be the original Arthur Bryant's he says. Just a hole in wall place but will have a wait going out the door during lunch/dinner rush. It was some good eats. I had burnt ends and pulled pork. I believe in drbbq cookbook he rates Arthur Bryant's as the best bbq in America. I also asked my friend about the other big name bbq placed called Gates. He laughed and said it's only Arthur Bryant's around here. Worth the wait!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Arthur Bryant's is great, but KC is like Memphis, if a bbq joint is good enough to stay open in that town it has to be pretty darn good. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I'm a big fan of Gates BBQ. I really like their sauce. I've been to Oklahoma Joe's BBQ and it was pretty good. I hate to say this but the last time I visited Bryants which was a few years ago I saw big roach run across their counter. It really turned me off. You need to try burnt ends no matter where you eat. Good luck to all.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I know for years I wanted to eat at Arthur Bryant's. All of my friends that had been to the Royal all ate there as part of their trip. When Charlie and I were out there in 2008 we made our pilgrimage to Arthur Bryant's. We waited in line for about 15 minutes looking at all the historical pictures on the wall and the anticipation was an amazing feeling. I ordered a burnt ends sandwich and a pulled pork sandwich. I saw them chop up the burnt ends on the historic cutting board. Then I saw them dip the pulled pork out of an old crock pot behind the counter. I thought that was incredibly strange but this WAS Arthur Bryant's.

We sat down and ate and really enjoyed the sliced bread.

Oh and the big plastic logo cup was cool also.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    A good while back while on layovers in Memphis, we would stay at the Peabody (the duck performance was included). A dinner at the Rendezvous was always in order and the food to my taste was great. Now, while still open for business, I'm hearing that the offerings are not what they used to be. Perhaps the business has been passed on to a new generation, or even sold, and is surviving mostly on the fame of original name...
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    LC's and Woodyard were my favourites on my BBQ crawl in Kansas City a couple of years back.
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Oklahoma Joe's is my favorite. I also like BB's Lawnside BBQ, which is closed on Mondays.
  • Wise One
    Thanks. That is a classic and a good suggestion.
  • Wise One
    I'll check on those two.
  • Wise One
    I was hoping to get a plastic logo cup at the Royal's game. Are you suggesting I try elsewhere? :-)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Try this one...you won't be disappointed.

http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/
  • HoosierDan
    HoosierDan Posts: 76
    You heard right. My family and I stayed at the Peabody last year and hit the Rendezvous for dinner. The meal did not live up to all of the hype. In my opinion it's not a good experience at a BBQ joint when the baked beans are the highlight of the meal.
  • HoosierDan
    HoosierDan Posts: 76
    On our upcoming trip out west KC is our first overnight stop. I saw this place on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives where Dr. BBQ accompanied Guy Fieri. It looked so good that we are going to kick off our trip with dinner there.