Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've bought this from Costco, it is cut into strips like a tri tip sized cuts..

I don't really know kind of pork this is, but I am looking for suggestions on how to cook it.

Can you make pulled pork with it?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Country style ribs are slabs cut from the butt section of a pork shoulder. As such, they are somewhat problematic. They have lots of fat and connective tissue that need to be rendered/broken down, but are small enough that they can dry out.

They benefit from braising in a Dutch oven, or from cooking awhile wrapped in foil. I also marinate them, and cook them fairly hot and quick, and expect to cut around the tough and fatty spots.
  • CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    Options
    So I could make it like a beef stew? I am going to trim as much fat as I can find.

I had also marinated it before with char siu sauce and indirect 300 for about 1 hour, slice and serve and it's similar to BBQ pork from Chinese restaurants.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They are cut from a butt as mentioned.BEST "ribs" I ever ate.Not allowed in KCBS comps.Absolutely delishious.I like to cook em indirect @ 300-350 dome till tender.A REAL TREAT. :) DO NOT OVERCOOK EM!