Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories for XL

skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I am going to add an XL to my family of Large and Medium. It will be in a nest as my Large is already in a table. I want to be able to cook direct and indirect at the same time. I want to buy all the Eggcessories with the purchase of the Egg to get the best discounted price. I am thinking:

1. plate setter
2. half pizza stone
3. half raised grid
4. cover

What about the lump saver? Since I would most likely be using the Large or Med with a small cook is there any reason to get this? How much does it run?

I already have the raised grid for my Large that I could use on the XL as well as two pizza stones. I also have all the general things like grill grabber, gloves, ash tool, temp probes etc.

What am I forgetting?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    It is heavy and they do make the nest handler for the XL now. I might add it.

You could make a lump reducer out of a metal coffee can and save the money. I like the 2 tier rack but if you have a plan for the one with the L, then no need. You can fit 3 racks side by side on the 2nd tier of the XL version easily.

The XL is my favorite egg. I think you will like it, especially for high volume cooks.
  • skihorn
    I will be rolling it short distances on a smooth deck. Is that what the "nest handler" would be for?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Crimsongator
    It bolts the egg to the nest and gives you more security when moving it. Here is a pic of my L with the handler. You can see how it would help with moving the egg around.

004.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Freddie the answer is YES, even for short moves.....
    Have it on my large and thinking of tossing the cart for the small and getting nest/handler for it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• skihorn
    Thanks for the picture. I was leaning away from it but two Eggheads (you and Mickey) can't be wrong!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Crimsongator
    Oh, I am wrong waaaay more than I am right. And I do believe it is a bit pricey, but it does really stabalize the egg
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hey Freddie,
    Still think money well spent would go towards the XL Adjustable Rig over the platesetter. So many more options in it's use over the platesetter.
    Only had mine a short time but really like it.
    Have not seen or used the Egg Handler on a XL but it sure did work nice on the large I used at the Salado Eggfest. Really made it solid and easy to move.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • skihorn
    Darian: Really dumb question - what is an adjustable rig and do they sell it at Chim-Chimneys? I see it referenced on here all the time but don't what it is other than an alternative to a plate setter.

We do need to get together for lunch or something.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The Adjustable Rig is made/sold by the Ceramic Grill Store: http://ceramicgrillstore.com/shop/shop/category/104/

They make some nice accessories for the Egg. Their rig has more levels of adjustment than any extra tier I've seen made by BGE. Since you have smaller sized Eggs, I don't see a need for a lump reducing ring but you might look at the Ang-L bracket so you can keep the lump securely stacked on one side for your simultaneous direct & indirect cook session.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • skihorn
    Thanks for the info and the link.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • The charcoal reducing ring on my XL did not do too much. It still took allot of coal and with the interior air space still burned quite a bit when the vents were closed. I found it easy to move in the nest since it has a squatter profile than the other eggs. My medium is more top heavy than the XL. I have yet to use the half raised rack or half moon baking stone, but the full baking stone has been used for pizzas with super results. A few cast iron frying pans works super for searing steaks!