Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something Completely Different: Kabocha on BGE

Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided I wanted to try cooking something vegetable on the BGE. Of course, it had to include some meat, and I had some leftover flap meat and Italian sausages.

This is a **Kabocha** - a Japanese pumpkin. The SKU label says it's like a sweet potato. . . .

7f68d8f8.jpg

I used my Ono Ono Chicken marinade, posted in the recipes section. For convenience, I am pasting the recipe here:

The Marinade, enough for 2 lbs of chicken parts

1/2 cup shoyu (soy sauce), I use Kikkoman low sodium version

1/2 cup sugar

1 Tbs sherry (I use Japanese sake)

1 Tbs sesame oil

1 Tbs grated ginger root

3 cloves chopped garlic

Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk around until the sugar dissolves. Taste the marinade and adjust to your liking. I always add more garlic and ginger. (I add ginger until it makes my mouth tingle.)

//////////////////

I chopped the pumpkin into little bite-sized pieces, so it will cook faster. I left the skin on. . .

0cc9b894.jpg

Then put it into a zip top bag along with the marinade. . . .

67e1d5fa.jpg

And then direct-grilled it on the BGE with a smoker/cooker basket:

d149cea6.jpg

Came out like this:

da464f45.jpg

Just cook until a skewer pokes thru easily. Probably 30 or 40 minutes.

I brought it to my friend's place for a Memorial Day celebration.

Next time it would be best to use the Platesetter and cook indirectly - more like an oven. AND - cut the pumpkin into a small rectangle or some other nice shape - and wrap it in bacon!

The tough skin became soft enough to eat.

Comments