Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

overnight in a Medium

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SUMMARY: I have always used my Large for overnights and have been amazed at how long it goes. I did a pork butt recently for 20 hours and there was still a LOT of leftover lump. However, I used my Medium Friday night and it appeared to run out of lump at about 16 hours. Is that about as long as one should expect with the Medium?

FOR THOSE THATA WANT ALL THE DETAILS, here is the chronology. I completely cleaned the ash out and stacked the lump carefully (for most cooks I just pour in the lump). I lit it about 6:30 p.m. and had the fire stable and the meat on by 7:00 p.m. I had calibrated my dome thermometer, so I know it was accurate. Most of the evening I kept it at about 230 dome. It crept up to about 250 in the night which was fine. I had to go to a funeral and left it about 10:45a.m. Since I felt like the meat was getting ahead of schedule I dialed the vents down pretty low. When I got back at 12:15 p.m. the dome was down to 190 and I could not get it back up. Obviously, the fire had gone out. I figured I had been too miserly with the vents. However, when I opened to relight there was almost no lump left at all. Now, it is possible that had I not been so miserly with the vents it would have still been going.

It all worked out fine as I quickly got the fire going with more lump and the timing still worked out great and the meat was superb. I am just curious if I should always use my Large when doing long cooks when it is available. This time I had a 15lb brisket going in the Large, so I had no choice.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Freddie

HERE is a long low and slow I did on my medium. This is pretty typical of the results I get. :)

Blair

• skihorn
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures Blair! It looks like you had slightly more lump after 22 hours than I did at 16. When you say "DigiQ at 210" is that the grid temp or the dome? Assuming the grid, that is pretty close to what I was doing. I was using Ozark Oak which is rated highly, but perhaps Cowboy is longer burning.

Freddie
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Yes Freddie. that would be the grid temperature on the DigiQ. I have primarily used Royal Oak charcoal in the past and question whether the Cowboy burns quite as long but this cook was similar to many others I have done in the past. I use a Turbo Grate and I don't know if that has any effect on how long the lump lasts or not. I would think not but that is another guess. I would be using Ozark Oak also if I could get it I think. I can't imagine what causes the difference in burn time? I hope one of the eggsperts can give us a clue.

Blair

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    That is generally about the time that one can maintain a 250 dome temp with a medium egg (16 hrs). That is when one fills up the fire box and fire ring with lump prior to cooking. I have gone longer and shorter but if I had to throw out a number the 16 hrs would be it. It also seems often the lump has a hard time falling down as it is used up with a medium. Many times I think my lump has run out, there still is quite a bit left even though I use a wiggle stick in the bottom. I finish in the oven if there is additional cooking time needed for butt or brisket. By the way, I have only used Royal Oak for my lump.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    My limited eggsperience with the Cowboy charcoal is that it does not burn as long as the BGE brand but definitely can get a lot hotter. I have had mine over 1000 degrees(by accident of course). I have stopped using Cowboy for long cooks just to be on the safe side. I have just picked up some of the Wegman's brand and i am curious how that does on a long cook. From reading the reviews on the Whiz site i think it will be ok.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks Tim: I go back and forth between Royal Oak and Ozark Oak. The RO is a little cheaper at WalMart but I still like to support my Egg dealer and buy Ozark that they stock.

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks Tim. I knew the Medium wouldn't go as long the Large, but I was feeding 64 people so I needed both!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Options
    Brian: I have never tried Cowboy.

Freddie
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Usually the 16 hours will be enough to cook (2) 8 lb butts or a 13 lb packer brisket. I also routinely experience the following scenario while cooking overnight: the egg will maintain very steady temps for about 8 hours without adjustment. Then I experience some airflow problems that I usually address with a wiggle rod up the bottom vent to clear the ash but also need to open the vents a little more to help compensate. Usually around the 14 hour mark I will have to have the bottom open 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and the top with a full daisy opening (just the slots). It all has to do with the ash buildup and keeping as much air getting to the lump. Just thought I would pass that along and good luck with your cook!