Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef ribs

Options
pokey
pokey Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning fellow eggers! Going to try beef ribs for third time and wanted to run some things past you all. The second time I did beef ribs they were much more tender but I wasn't satisfied with the taste. I am going to remove the membrane and apply a generous amount of rub and put them on the egg at approx. 250. I was thinking of mopping the ribs after they establish a bark with apple juice and some of the rub I have made mixed together. Has anyone tried mopping beef ribs? I will be waiting to hear from you all.

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I cook them just like pork ribs, including spritzing them occasionally.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I don't mop them but after about 3 hours I spray every 30 minutes or so with a mixture of 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3--take your pick-- water, soy sauce, orange juice or bbq sauce. My beef ribs usually fo 6-7 hours in slab form and 3-4 if in pieces.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=907369&catid=1
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Personally I don't think apple juice or vinegar is suited for beef. Spritzing really isnt necessary but if you must...you could thin regular Que sauce with water or beef broth.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I'm with Bacchus...

Get meaty ribs and cook them, I don't spritz, mop, brine or anything else but cook them with some cherry or apple wood.

Over cooking them is the worst thing you can do.

beefrib3done.jpg

beefrib2.jpg

GG
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    GG,
    Those look great! Hearty rub too. Can you give some details so I can try to duplicate those at my house?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

For me it is important to find meaty ribs. Pull the membrane, I coat with mustart then season heavy unless the rub has a lot of salt in it.

Indirect with a good size drip pan, there will be a lot of rendering with beef ribs. 250° dome. Watch for the meat to pull back, while checking with a toothpick, fork or probe for the meat being tender. I do watch the thermometer in the center of the meat to make sure they are not undercooked.

Just don't overcook. You can see I cut some off to taster the flavor and texture. I cooked them about 15 to 20 minutes longer after I took the pictures.

Cook them just like pork ribs - don't overcook.

GG