Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 3 Slabs of Spare Ribs

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, thank you to everyone for the help last Sunday with Spare Ribs. I know I am a novice at some of thing but how else am I going to learn. So I cooked one slab and I overcooked the ribs. I went by time instead of temperature and feel.

So for Mother's Day, I am going to get back on the horse and this time I am cooking 3 slabs. I calibrated the thermometer last night, so hopefully that won't be a problem. I plan on doing the same thing with 3 slabs as I did with the one slab, Rub, 250 Dome Temp, Indirect, wood chunks, etc.

My question is by doing more than one, will it take longer to cook the Ribs compared to the on ? I need to figure out my timing so when it is 5pm and the Ribs will be ready to come off the EGG. I know a lot of this is common sense but I know myself too well too. :S

Thank you for all the advice.

Gary

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Putting 3 slabs on will drop the temperature more and longer at first than 1 slab. And, taking up more space, may block the airflow some until they shrink from cooking. All you are looking at is perhaps a little more time.

Always give yourself at least 5.5 hours for spares. If they are not quite done when you are close to serving, take the dome temperature up to 300, but mop to offset the drying effect.

It is hard to over cook spares, especially untrimmed slabs. Do peek in around 3.5 hours, and see how the meat is drawing back from the bone ends. If they are shrinking rapidly, you may want to mop them every 30 min.

It is hard (but not impossible) to take rib temperature. Test for doneness by how loose a bone feels when tugged, or how easy the slab bends when lifted at one end. If the slab splits in half under its own weight, it is most ready.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Gary,

It's the same as cooking the solo rack. Get them on at 11 and you should be golden. Not sure of your method before, but if you didn't care for them, what are you going to change? Have you knowledge of the 'bend' test?

Faith has a perfect example of it here. (2nd pic)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1083194&catid=1
  • EGGARY
    I do. I made the mistake to go by time instead of feel. I read here on some posts the time it takes to do Ribs, from 5 to 7 hours, and that is what I went by. The last slab was broke between the bones. I learned my lesson.

They did taste good but too tender.

Thanks.

Gary
  • Ripnem
    Did you use foil? if so, you may want to not foil all of them this go around. Some will call them perfect and some will call them overcooked. :P
  • EGGARY
    I figured with more ribs going on, it would take more time.

Mine split in half at the bone. I want something with a little chew, if that makes sense. My other problem was my thermometer. It was off. That is now taken care of and I ordered a Tru Tel.

I will definitely use your advice along with the others.

Thank you.
  • EGGARY
    Man, that was quick. No on the foil. My BGE Thermometer was off as well. I will just go by feel on Sunday.

I wonder how places like Chilis do their Ribs ? They definitely are not smoked and are not cooked slowly.
  • Ripnem
    Don't eat at Chilis :pinch:
  • EGGARY
    I don't do Ribs at Chilis.

Lat night my wife gets excited about a flyer for Wing Stop and I said to her to just throw it away. We don't need it. I make them.
    B)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    toldja, no message
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I see. Not burnt, but too fall off the bone. So if you do the same, but with an accurate thermometer, the results should be closer to what you want.

I've only had chain ribs once in the last few years. They really were suck of the bone mush, drowned in enough sweet sauce that my teeth hurt. Anythin off the Egg is better than that, but we all aim for our personal best. Good luck.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    At another restaurant chain that I would rate a couple of clicks above Chili's- I know they cook their ribs in a steam pan in the oven for a few hours ahead of time, then they wrap an refrigerate. When you order, they throw them on the grill and sauce them.

Nothing wrong with using this same method on the egg. You could smoke them ahead of time (even the day before) and then just put them on the egg direct and sauce them to heat and finish.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Good luck Gary, I'm sure with the thermometer calibrated and the experience from Sunday, these three racks will be closer to what you desire. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.