Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 - 8.5+ butts sitting stuck at165...

TRPIV
TRPIV Posts: 278
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,
I've got two bone in 8.5lb butts on the large, since 12:30am (PST). They have been cooking at 230 to 250. I had a 1.5 hours where the pit ran up to 280 for a bit. I brought that back in range once I saw it.

The meat was at 171 at one point (5:30 am PST). I opened the pit to check the drip pan and check the coals. Everything is okay there, but since then, the pit temp dropped to 220 and the meat temps are down to 165. I kicked the pit back to 250. Now I'm starting to worry that these guys won't be done by 2pm.

I don't want to panic. Will I bet okay if I let it ride? Should I take the butts off and wrap them in foil and put 'em back on? Bump the fire up a bit?

Thanks
Ted

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    TRPIV: First, you are in the plateau...very normal for butts to sit in the plateau a couple hours, then start moving again. Are you measuring temps using the dome thermometer? I wouldn't bother to wrap at this point. Bumping the temp 25-50 more degrees certainly won't hurt! Patience grasshopper...
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Sounds to me like they are in the plateau. If so the collagen in the meat is melting and I have seen this last three hours plus. :ermm:
  • TRPIV
    LittleChef - HAHA! I've taken to reading the Tao of Charcoal right now (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/taoofcharcoal/tcbook1.htm). :laugh:

2FatEgghead - This is going on 6 hours.
  • 2Fategghead
    What meat probe are you using? How many places have you checked?
  • TRPIV
    I have the Oregon scientific red remote temp sensor (AW131) for constant monitoring. I only checked the meat directly one time. I tested each butt in four or five places with my thermapen. Each time I checked it, the pen read with in 4 degrees of the Oregon Scientific unit.

On a positive note, the temp of the meat is starting to increase a bit. Now we are at 169.

These babies need to be done in 3 hours.

Tao... Tao... Tao...
  • 2Fategghead
    If it's back on the move I have seen it take a couple hours to finish up. Like Little Chef has said you could bump up the temp some.
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    I think you'll make it just in time.

Remember, relax and have a homebrew.
  • TRPIV
    It's a bit early to start drinki... nah.. what was I saying?! ;)

The temps are going up one degree every 10 mins. It's at 175 right now. :)

We'll slide in under the wire. I'd like 'em to be done earlier so they can have a nice rest.

We'll see. Now... where is that beer mug? ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    How did your butt turn out? Any pic's. :ermm:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    shhh. I think they're still eating. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    I hope they eat good Michael. ;)
  • TRPIV
    OOOhhh... the butts... I loves me a good butt.

Wow, what a day. Everyone just left. The party went great. It was nice to see the family and friends.

How did the butts turn our? The butts came out pretty well. I really can't complain. They finished on time and reached about 185ish before I pulled them off to rest. I wrapped them in three wraps of heavy duty foil and beach towels. From there I put them in a GE thermo-pack. (it's this little collapsible cooler thing that came with our GE crock pot.) Amazing little gizmo. Love it.

Anyway, one butt rested in that for about 45 minutes before I pulled it and put it into a nice tub of sauce. About an hour and a half later I pulled the second one and handed it out for leftovers.

The bark was a little hard in some spots. Maybe I should have rotated the butts? The pork seemed to pull really well. Maybe a bit sticky in some places? I'm not sure if 'sticky' is the right word. It wasn't like 'glue', just kind of... super soft... maybe over done? I don't know. Everything was good, maybe I'm just over critical of my first 'public' cook. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. so I was happy.

Here is they best part... I unwrapped the butts and when I went to get pics and everyone just stopped talking and looked at me. Well... this is Awkward. So I put the camera away. I didn't get any photos but I got a lot of good natured ribbing for the rest of the evening.

"Can I eat this? or did you want to get a photo first?..."

"Does my plate need to sign a modeling release?..."

Etc.

I'd do it all again and I really love cooking my egg.

Thanks for the help and the advice along the way!

Ted
  • 2Fategghead
    Great to hear Ted. I was rooting for you! ;)

Your cooks will get better with repetion.

About the picture taking. I am learning from this forum same as you. I think it's wonderful and sooo very helpful to see the pic's of these cooks and pic's of the process. My friends and family know I post on the forum and take pic's of my cooks and the process. If someone says something I take their pic and tell them I will be posting their pic on the forum. Keep coming back and don't be shy. Take your pic's and post them here. Tim