Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrating

Options
ChuggaBrew
ChuggaBrew Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read somewhere that I should calibrate my temp gauge and that the instructions should be with the egg....I can't find anything about calibrating.
If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Comments

• Reverend BSB
    Options
    Boil a pot of water, immerse the thermometer stem in it. The thermometer should read 212 degrees. If it reads another temp, then adjust the nut on the back of the dial so it reads 212 in the boiling water.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Just go here and scroll down to "Problems You May Encounter".

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    boil water, insert probe (most of the probe in the water). if it doesn't read about 212°, turn the nut on the back until it does. adjust for altitude it you're way above sea level. probably a good idea to to this periodically.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChuggaBrew
    Options
    Thank you.....mine was 20 degrees off