Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stormy Night in Georgia

davehemp
davehemp Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, our power went out at midnight, and finally came back at 8:30 this morning...was worried about my aging sub-primal Prime Rib in the extra fridge. When power came back on I opened it up and fridge was 44 degrees, but my infra-red therm said the meat was at 40.8 degrees - I'm thinking it's okay...my wife is a bit hinky about it...That's why the extra fridge - at day 7 I was informed the smell was unacceptable...we're at day 16 now and it's lookin' good.....going for 28 days...
eggstuff189.jpg

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    meat is fine
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BoroBGE
    BoroBGE Posts: 30
    I think you're good to go. Where did you buy the meat? I'm looking for a good butcher in the atlanta area that I can get meat to dry age.
  • davehemp
    Unfortunately, it's not from a butcher - I'd give anything to find a good butcher to deal with, but like you have not yet been able to do so...what I found was Costco. I had never even considered joining a warehouse club til I discovered they carried Prime Grade beef. Usually they only have cut steaks out for display, but if you ask, they will bring out a box of whole cuts for you to pick from. Ribeye and Strip.
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    I bet the meat will be okay. Hope it works out and no more power outages!
  • davehemp
    Brother, you can bet that unless it grows fuzzy white wings and flies away on it's own, it's ending up in my Egg....ummm...some steaks and a roast...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ya think? Maybe he should leave it in an airport storage area for a couple of days ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    If you ever get north of Atlanta on the 400 we have an amazing local shop here in Cumming. Ferguson's Meat Market, he's also an Egg dealer, and on Saturday usually has it fired up out front cooking for their "deli".

It seems like every time I stop in there's someone driving up from Atlanta or further packing coolers full of beef and most of them do it monthly. If you ever do make it up, you have to try the bacon too, best bacon I've ever had! I guess I'm spoiled we'll stop in once or twice a week to avoid having to freeze any of the meat.

(Sorry for the rambling message, been a long day)

Mike
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • davehemp
    Thanks for the tip - sounds like a great place...wish it were closer... :(
  • BoroBGE
    BoroBGE Posts: 30
    http://www.starprovisions.com/

Dry aged beef in Atlanta. Check it out.
  • davehemp
    I love Star and have had their wonderful dry aged beef - But -it's around $40 a pound as I recall(it's been more than a year)... They have several things that are hard to find in Atl. like Foie Gras, and artisnal sausages and cheese...but you pay dearly for it...