Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini nest question

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put together my mini and am in business with it. When I put it in the nest, it was very rocky and already peeled away some paint from the nest. Does anyone put anything on the nest like black gorilla (duct tape) so that it fits better? If so, how does it hold up to the heat that the mini can give off? Any other ideas? I mainly don't want to scratch up the egg and would prefer more stability. Thanks!

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    sure don't want to be an alarmist but last year I saw pics of a mini in a nest and the whole bottom dropped out of the Egg. The thing was busted in half. I think after much discussion it was agreed that the Egger had added some weight to the inside of the set up which was a big reason behind the sad sad pics, but it sure made me glad my mini was resting solidly in a table.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Ouch...I'm thinking about making a "traveling box" that I can flip upside down and put the mini when I'm cooking. Of course I would put some kind of stone and probably air gap to ensure no damage to the box. Maybe that would be best.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    I put four small landscaping bricks under mine, like four big feet. Then a paver, then my table. Airflows through under the four big feet and the paver protect the table. I,ll try to find the post, but the pics made a lot of us think.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Those pics were scary as heck, but that said, I haven't heard of any others, and mine has been in a nest for several years with no troubles. I think in most cases, the nest works fine.
    If you need to firm it up (mine already fits tight...), I think I would rather use a little gasket felt, so it is heat resistant, than tape, which i would be afraid would melt.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    That's a good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Staci,, that was lowercasebill's mini. I think he was running high heat with a pizza stone in there. Scary pic for sure. Did a high temp clean today so I took it out of the nest just to be on the safe side.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    That's right! I knew there was some extra weight in there. I've never been thrilled with the way mine sits in the nest, but others do fine. Thanks for the reminder Pat!
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    The minis with the older hinge had a tipping problem. It wasn't the base at fault, but the design of the hinge. When this happened to me, I called BGE mothership and they replaced the hinge for me at only the cost of shipping. Now it opens easily without tipping over backwards.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I use the BGE nest as well and it's fit is sloppy at best.
    The post of the bottom falling out I believe was due to the Egg expanding and cracking at the point where the nest ring fits snug on the Egg. Might have been a combination of several things.
    Many Mini users now use a couple wraps of AC/Heating aluminum furnace tape in three spots as a cushion on the stand. I don't have a photo but Mickey might ping in with help.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Chubby came up with this and if you send me your address will be glad to send (have a bunch left over).
    photo-50.jpg
    photo-117.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    My sons cracked all the way around just like lcb's.

I haven't used the stand since lcb's bottom fell out.

My son did a couple steaks and shut the mini down - when he return later the mini base was in two pieces. It was replaced and he doesn't use the stand anymore.

Mine sits on little green feet.

The carriers are mightyfine for mobility
    IMG_3522800x600.jpg
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "The carriers are mightyfine for mobility"

Your carriers are great Frank.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas