Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat packaging questions?

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for the bad pic, dog and wife are still out of town with camera.
This morning I made the hour drive to the closest Sams and bought several cuts of meat (bet the wife won't let me go alone again :whistle: ).
I am getting ready to package everything up with the food saver and have a few questions.

c82a2bd3.jpg
There are only 2 of us here, so keep that in mind.
Tenderloin...How thick should it be cut for nice filets?

Short ribs....Have never cooked or eaten these before. They weigh about 1/2 lb each. How many per person?

Brisket...Ended up buying a 14 lb packer. Should I cut in half and freeze or freeze whole, cook and then freeze leftovers?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Tenderloin- I'd do fillets about a inch and a half to two inches thick, but that's me.

Short ribs-- I'd say two per person if they aren't boneless, which looks like they are not.

Brisket- I'd cook the whole thing and then freeze the leftovers.

These are just my opinions but hopefully a few more chime in with their thoughts. Glad to see you will be making the grill and freezer very happy with their contents. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Thanks Scott. Next time I will pace myself and not try to do everything the same day. I got everything cut up and in the freezers. Was way to tired to mess with the brisket so it got thrown in un cut into the big freezer. I guess when we are really in the mood for a brisket I'll pull it out. Good think the wife was gone...The kitchen looked like a slaughter house :laugh:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06326JPGajpgText.jpg

This is how I breakdown a whole tenderloin.

DSC06332JPGa.jpg

I would keep the brisket whole, and plan on at least two short ribs per person.

DSC08024a.jpg

DSC08063a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Thirdeye,
    Thats exactly how I cut mine, but the chain meat and trimming went into one pile. I had planned on grinding it this morning morning for burgers. Bad move?
    On the short ribs. The ones I froze were 4 bone. I put 3 per bag. The brisket is still whole and now frozen. Thanks for the the help and pics!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06558JPGajpgb.jpg

Well, the chain is definitely higher in fat than the tenderloin proper, which is a plus for burger. But tenderloin is just not as beefy flavored as chuck or sirloin, and it's way more tender.... so I wonder if it wouldn't be a better choice for some other use. At the house of ~thirdeye~, I like the chain meat served on crispy hard rolls, marinated and cooked on skewers, or used for fajitas. Or it's just good for steak and eggs....

DSC04873s.jpg

DSC04869s.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I usually pound the chain meat reasonably thin, season it a bit, and then brown it in a cast iron pan, and slice up for steak sandwiches.  The tail, depending on how much / how thin it is, can either be used the same way or folded, tied, and cooked with the steaks.