Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zippylip Pizza Questions

Options
Quadzilla
Quadzilla Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two quick questions;

1. At these high temps (650*+) do you need to cool the stone down before cooking the first pie?

2. My dough has been in ziplock containers in the fridge for 3 days. There are air bubble forming on the bottom of the dough. I sprayed containers with cooking spray before dropping the dough balls in. Is this something to be concerned about? I also ordered the Italian cultures that Varasano's website refers to and used those with a small amount of instant dry yeast. Not sure if this has anything to do with the bubbles.

I will try to post pics when done.

Thanks!
Quad

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    1. No to cooling the stone. That is what you want to form a good crust. Pre-heating it gives you a good oven spring.

2. You should never mix native yeast cultures with packaged yeast. Kind of negates the point of the wild stuff in the first place. That said, bubbles aren't a problem - just shows the yeast is working and the dough is properly developed. They'll work out as you form the skin. Just be sure to take a fork and pop any large ones that appear during the first few minutes of the cook
  • Quadzilla
    Quadzilla Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks Fidel! I only used about 1/8 of a tsp per Varasano's instructions http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm . He says that the wild yeasts sometimes don't produce the right amount of puff. I'll just skip it next time.