Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat right out of the package???

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question is when you take meat, chicken, fish out of the package do you rinse it all or just throw your spice on it and cook away?

I see lots of cooking shows where they start cooking right out of the package and it is gross. Hopefully it is cleaned but we just do not see the behind the scenes person cleaning it.

We like to rinse any packaged meat off and wipe dry...anybody else?

Just curious....Mrs. Food Police are you out there????

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that authority was self-appointed, i believe... :laugh:

i rinse and pat dry, simply because a dry surface will give you a better crust (if that's what yer after).

also, there's a lot of what looks like blood (but which ain't ;) ) and i just want to start clean.

food safety isn't the issue. if there were bacteria there, washing it would kill or get rid of them, but so would cooking it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What are you hoping to wash away with a quick rinse under the water?

I would bet that the grill you put it on is far, far dirtier than the meat when you take it out of the package. Do you wash off ground beef? Sausage (ground or links)? Bacon? Where do you draw the line?

Some of this is me playing devil's advocate because my wife insists on washing chicken, but not steaks or fish. I don't understand the reasoning other than 'mom always did it that way'
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I most often rinse and dry everything from the package, from the store. Can't say why, other then having a dry meat to start with.
    The exception is my beef (custom butcher , cut and wrapped just down the road) and the venison that I cut.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I don't wash or pat dry. The seasoning sticks better when moist. :S
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I've never been worried about it. I just throw it on and rarely every rinse it. :whistle: As mentioned, my grid is pretty dirty.
  • stike
    Options
    but yet your steaks go on dry.. right?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    My thoughts Exactly!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I am with you. EGGspecially cuts like steaks and chops as many times the cut bone mess is still on the meat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    every once in a while you get one of those unholy rotten smelling butts out of the cryovac, those get washed and rested a few minutes for another nose check :ermm: if the wings look a little dry and i want rub to stick to them they get rinsed. sometimes you see bone dust and pieces on thin cut chops, ill wash that off. cant see washing that extra plate any more, even if its just a quick rinse let alone washing every piece of meat and then the extra plate :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    this from the man that wraps his plate setter to use it :whistle: I will never live that down... every time I use one of ours i feel guilty...
    But your question, LOL I wash chicken and nothing else.. have not really thought about it :huh: .. but I have to wash chicken :sick:
    and pork I wash pork.. I guess just not beef??
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I put EVOO on my steaks...yummy. :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    what about the tday turkey, my sister cooked one with the bag of guts in it too, is that ok :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    Options
    I do not wrap my platesetter...however I do always make an aluminum foil plate which sits on the platesetter. I put copper T's between the platesetter and HDAF plate so the grease doesn't burn...but I never wrap my platesetter...I hope I have set the record straight.. :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :) :laugh: ;)B) :woohoo: :silly: :lol:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I think it was back in the Fall that I either read or saw a report that demonstrated washing chicken spread more potential salmonella than just cooking directly from the package. The splashing out of the sink, the sink, the handles, the faucet, etc. all had risk of contamination.

Just sayin'

FWIW
    I rinse chicken and pork. :laugh:
    Not sure why, though... ;) :huh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    So did my wife. :laugh: and no, it's not ok
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. but you also butcher duck prosciutto and hang pancetta in yer skivvies under a sewer pipe. :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't know where you shop, but you might go a bit more upscale. I have never had "bone mess" on anything I've purchased.
  • stike
    Options
    i wash, but it has nothing to do with food safety. washing doesn't make it any safer. i don't think any chef (i mean real chef... tv or otherwise) who dries meat does it because they think it's safer. i think it's to get better caramelizing and browning

in the search for crisp chicken skin, a great pan sear, good color on a steak, or a nice crust of fat on a roast... for me it all happens easier with a dry piece of meat (no jokes, zippy)
  • vidalia1
    Options
    You've been peaking.... :P :laugh: :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    This report I vaguely recall was recommending NOT to wash chicken for food safety reasons - spreading potential contamination around in the kitchen.
  • Fidel
    Options
    just zippy? because I can think of a few zingers to throw out re: that last comment.

and to answer your earlier query, yes I dry steaks before cooking them - but they go straight from the butcher paper to the paper towel. No wash in between.
  • Fidel
    Options
    he peaked years ago...he's on a noticeable decline lately
  • fishlessman
    Options
    was fine for me, sister shows up with two college roommates, one of the girls looks at a picture of goerge and barbara bush hanging on the beachouse wall and asks me if they are my grandparents, the week got alot better from there ;) who cares if there was a bag of guts in the bird :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    Options
    I wash chickens to make sure I get the pin feathers & other nasty bits of chicken off...not for safety (salmonella reasons)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with wrapping your platesetter. I use wraps, boats, tents, teepees, slings and a few other things that won't make sense
  • Fidel
    Options
    are you gonna freak out if I take a bite out of a live trout tomorrow (without washing of course)? If I get hungry enough it might just happen.

Fresh raw trout is actually very good.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I am trying to rinse off bone bits, blood (even if it is Tiger Blood) feathers, and otehr things i would rather not eat... :S :blink: :huh:
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Are those personal items of your clothing you are desribing? Or professional BBQ techniques? I need to go to more classes... :lol: :silly: :laugh: :)B)
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Sure you have...you have just cooked it and eaten it... :sick: :blink: :pinch: :S
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I don't eat fish so I don't care what you do with them and besides these waters are clean... :cheer: :whistle:;)