Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye Round Roast

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello friends,

have the opportunity to get an Irish Beef Eye Round Roast for a special price. Never cooked a Eye Round Roast so far...

Is it worth to buy ?

Any idea how to cook it ?

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    IMHO I don't like Eye Round, to tough and no flavor. I perfer bottom round roast more tender and lots more flavor.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Well...
    I am naive here :blush: What makes it an Irish Round?
    I have cooked the eye and they have turned out good. However as Mike said, they don't have as much flavor. This is because they are a very lean roast.
    Also because of this, they need to cook pretty hot and fast, and IMO will be very tough if cooked past Med. Rare :) Med. at best ;) .
    The last one I did got a good rubbing of my "Santa Fe" blend, spent the night in the fridge. and a quick roasting direct, but raised.
    This was thin sliced and served with the Au' Jus.

SANTA FE BLEND

3 T. chili powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. celery seed
    1 T. black pepper
    2 t. garlic powder
    2 t. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
    1 t. salt
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    I just did one Monday - turned out excellent.

I started by injecting the roast the night before, and basted the roast every 15 minutes in it's own Au jus, until done.

Once it finished to 142* IT, I pulled, let cool completely, and stuck it in the fridge until the following day. Sliced, and saved the Au jus.

Stacked the sliced meat in the Au jus and let sit overnight.

Final results - not tough at all, flavorful and very delicious. Though these roasts are commonly known for the lack thereof, of marbling, the roast I bought, had some decent marbling throughout, the only reason I bought it. Maybe this had something to do with the overall end product.