Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

curing the wok

Options
Turk
Turk Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen posts on curing the wok but I cannot seem to find them now. How long should the oiled wok be in the egg and at what temp?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Turk,
    In the Jan Feb 2011 issue of Cooks Illustrated they recommend seasoning a cast iron skillet with flaxseed oil. If you can not find the procedure on the net let me know and I will send you a copy of the article.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oil inside and out. I use peanut oil. Get the lump burning HOT! Set the wok directly on the coals til it turns black. Tilt it all around so it's black everywhere. Won't take but a couple of minutes. Wear welder's gloves.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/2008/05/seasoning-wok-for-grilling-on-bge-of.html

My original blog entry; have an updated version about refreshing the wok and seasoning if you email me I'll send you the documents.
    Tony
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00137a.jpg

Actually, your BGE is perfect for seasoning and for cooking on your wok. You can take a brand new wok and season it in an hour and a half tops using three heating sessions. Or re season your old one in one or two. The key is proper oiling, and heating and cooling the wok several times. A properly seasoned wok makes cooking a dream, and they clean up really easy.

DSC00126a-1.jpg

Here is how I do it..... If it's a new wok, scrub off any factory oil (or scrub off any thick build up off your current wok) and put it on the Egg over a small low fire since you will be doing much of your work with the lid up. Do all of your heat control with the lower vent. All of the oiling will be on the INSIDE surface only......

With the lid closed, let it heat up for 4 to 6 minutes, then add some peanut oil (or lard) and use a paper towel and tongs to coat the entire inside inside surface. Close the lid for a couple of minutes, then make a few more passes with the oiled paper towel. Do this several more times, adding more oil as needed. By now the bottom should be seasoned and nice and dark. Remove the wok from the cooker and let it cool to room temperature. You should still have some oil in the bottom of the wok when it's removed.

Session 2 - Put the wok back in the cooker but this time oil the paper towel only, and coat only the areas that are not dark, which should be most of the upper 1/2 or 3/4 of the sides. Occasionally coat the bottom lightly but you are concentrating on the sides. Try tipping the wok in the spider ring so the heat is focused on the side rather than the bottom. Close the lid for a couple of minutes at a time. Do this routine several times, rotating the wok as needed for good coverage of the sides. Any time the steel is dry, make another pass with the oiled towel. When you get your sides partially seasoned (within a few inches of the top rim) remove the wok and let it cool to room temperature. Now all that is left is the upper band.

Session 3 - You can do this in the cooker, but it's easier with your MAPP torch. On an outside table on your pizza stone or some fire bricks, take that little ring that is used for stovetop wokking and set your wok in it. Oil the paper towel, coat the upper band that is not seasoned. Working with your MAPP torch (medium heat is all you need) from the OUTSIDE, heat the wok using a up and down, ziz-zag pattern maybe 2" or 3" , just concentrate on the areas that are not seasoned. Heat about 1/4 of the circumference of the wok at a time, but don't stop the torch. You can tell from the smoke when your heat is right. Watch the inside, it will season right before your eyes. Re-oil as needed, and heat until you get the color right. After the first 1/4 you will see how well this works. Then just move around the wok doing the other 1/4's. When you are all done with the upper band, you can also use the torch to spot-season any other areas.

Then all that's left is for you to enjoy outdoor wokking.

DSC07935a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery