Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX Ramp Mode

Options
davehemp
davehemp Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
Just got mu new Guru today, :woohoo: , and have a bit of confusion about the ramp mode.
In section 8.2 Ramp of the manual the first paragraph says: "This mode is used for slow cooks so your meat never over-cooks."
In the next paragraph it says: "when using this feature, you may want to start yout pit temperature a little higher than normal to reduce cook time and not overcook your food."
Well, hmmm....that's a bit contrary is it not?
For one, as far as total time of cook, what does it matter if there's no hurry, and if one of the reasons you might use the ramp feature would be so you could start early and have your meat ready and safely holding for dinner time with company. Obviously not too long, but if its really holding the temp. and maybe you've loosely tented your meat to keep moisture in, as long as a couple or 3 hours holding time is what you intend, why would it overcook?
Secondly, I don't really like to go over 225 pit for a low and slow - so I'd rather not start the pit higher than that.
I guess its a matter of balance, but I still don't get the rec. to start with hotter temp to reduce time. I'm afraid I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill...but could some experienced Eggheads tell their thoughts. I'm a 6 month vet and loving it.
Thanks to the Naked Whiz website - its the greatest for info for new eggers, along with this forum, of course. Now, if I could just get some of that maple charcoal... :pinch:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    davehemp,

Where are you measuring pit temp?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    davehemp, I have a CyberQ II and I don't use the ramp mode because it prolongs the cook by lowering the pit temp the closer your food probe reaches it's set point. When I use mine I clip the pit probe to the dome probe and set the pit to 250F. The petals on your daisy wheel needs to be open enough so a tooth pick can fall through. I have a 10 pit viper and I have the damper closed to 1/3 open. :)
  • davehemp
    Options
    Steve, I usually measure at grate level w/probe through potato method...otherwise 250 on the dome thermometer...would you think that right? Now I guess I'll clip Guru probe on CIG...
    2fat, "When I use mine I clip the pit probe
    to the dome probe and set the pit to 250F. The petals on your daisy wheel needs to be open enough so
    a tooth pick can fall through. I have a 10 pit viper and I have the damper closed to 1/3 open"
    , is just tremendously helpful specific suggestion...Thank You so much...
    I would've been breaking in my Guru tonight, but I went to the dentist today - not pretty - but I'll be starting a picnic cut of pork tomorrow night for Thursday...Hopefully I can chew by then...
    2Fat: if you weren't worried about prolonging time, wouldn't you use it???(Ramp mode) Seems like the gentler the cook, the more tender the meat...(which, especially right now with a large hole in my lower jaw, would be good)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Dave, I have used the ramp mode in the past but, depending on your controller you could end up with a marathon cook. I may be exaggerating but a 12 hour cook could wind up going several more hours. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that but, I prefer to get the cook over with then placing the butt in two layers of heavy duty foil and wrap it in towels and sock it in a cooler for 3 hours or so if you need to prolong the cook. I suggest you call the fine folks at:

800-288-GURU (4878)

The BBQ Guru
    357 Ivyland Road
    Warminster, PA 18974-2205

I have had the opportunity to meet some of them and they are fine people. ;)
  • davehemp
    Options
    I guess I have a vision of puttting a 8-12 lb. piece of pig on around 9pm at 210-220 pit then removing 2-3pm the next day, wrapping in foil, then onto a sheet pan in the oven at 150 until it meets the knife at dinner around 6pm.....maybe that is far too long a cook - my worst enemy is a dry piece of meat...I was hoping the ramp mode would help me make my plan happen, full charcoal to the top of the rim, I figured that would be ample...water w/ apple juice in drip pan...jeez, I hate to say it but this may all be a way for me to not drag my bleary eyed butt out of bed at 6am to start the cooking and eat the same day like you do...maybe for an 18 hour cook you need cuts above 18-20 lbs. or so...well, I'll be pondering this - Thanks Again for the nice responses...
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Have a great cook. :)