Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burn clean yesterday, interesting results

Options
Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My L and XL eggs have not seen much use lately due to wet and cold weather, and no parties. I found some mold in the XL and decided to burn all my eggs clean, including the Mini. Mini burn went just fine, but I had some interesting results with the L and XL.

The L got up to around 800 degrees, and the fire ring cracked. I guess I was due for something, its been over three years and no problems with the fire box or ring. Its just funny, I have had the L up to 1000 degrees before with no problem.

As for the XL not problems I can spot so far, but the temp went way higher than I have ever seen an egg go unassisted. Had to be 1100 or 1200 degrees. I have a Tel Tru that goes to 1000 and the needle was buried. I have gotten the L and XL up to 1000 before, but only with the Eggcelerator blasting air in so this was unusual to me. An old load of charcoal, an egg that had some moisture in it, and it just went furnace on my. At least I know its clean now!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bummer on the fire ring :(
    Bet they are clean now.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    My large fire ring has been in 2 pieces for a couple years. I picked up a replacement - this is certainly covered under warranty - but it is still in the box in my basement.

You have no worries - the egg will still work the same with the cracked fire ring.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Fire ring should be covered under warranty. It's possible that if the cold air you describe was still present when you did your clean burn that the extra oxygen that is present when the air is more dense due to the cold could have contributed to the higher temps you achieved. Just a thought. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm always conflicted when i notice a crack. i mean, it's under warranty, and even without the replacement piece it still works fine... but yeah, the crack kinda takes the wind out of your sails.

it might be that it was cracked beforehand and you didn't notice it until it was clean. which doesn't mean anything, but i felt like pointing it out. maybe it'll make you feel better that you might have been living with it for a while already :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    No, its a new crack. Its big enough that I would have noticed it before. After cleaning out what was left of the charcoal and ash this morning I also found a hairline crack in the fire box and the grate is cracked in half. I sell eggs on the weekends so next weekend I am going to get some warranty replacements ordered. They are still usable though, I will just keep the new parts in storage till the old ones become unusable.

I just thought it was interesting how they finally cracked now, I have had my L hotter before, and cooked in colder weather with no problems. And my XL was at 1100 at least and nothing cracked there, not even the cast iron grid I had in it.

Cooking babyback ribs on the XL tonight and chicken wings on the L.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    With all this bad weather and considering that you had mold in the egg you no doubt had a lot of moisture in the ceramic. I think [maybe] if you had done a low temp burn first, say for an hour or two, to let the moisture dissapate slowly, then cranked her up, you might have avoided the crack. Just a thought B) :unsure:
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    The L was dry, and thats the one that got the cracks. The XL was the one with the moisture and mold, and it got much hotter with no cracks.