Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how many eggs fit in a suburban...

Options
benny
benny Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im thinking of going to either georgia or waldorf eggfest. Im getting an xl ...and three friends want an XL, and two not sure on xl or large.

How big around is an xl and how tall..

has anyone put on or more in a suburban? obviously not in a nest.. would I have to take them apart...

Im just trying to plan in advance...also, which fest is best waldorf or the one in georgia in may?

Comments

• benny
    Options
    ive got a large so i can measure it.....I said Id pick them up if they pay for gas and travel..so i get to go for free. just gotta get the eggs home.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    If it was me i would get all four in for the free ride.
    How many people will be with you? If it is just you driving and no passangers I'm sure they will fit.
    Good Luck, Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• benny
    Options
    i may bring my wife......if there is room for her
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Take some seats out.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like you attitude on wife, my 43 years of marriage will not support it. But you go guy :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    If she will let you buy Egg's and help load them up you better make room for her. :)
    I have an 03 Ford Expidition and with all seats down I'm sure I could get them in. That would leave room for me and the wife. :)
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• benny
    Options
    just kidding about the wife! ill bring her if she wants to go. just do think think her idea of fun will be to drive 6 hrs to pick up 4 eggs.

but where can i get the measurements of outside diameter and height of an xl. the engineer in me needs to make sure before i get there that they will fit. or else i have a big problem.

Ive found weights which are no problem .
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The grid measures 24 inches on the XL, so figure 28 inches for the egg. Not sure on height, but I don't think it is much taller than the large.

I have been to Waldorf, and it is a great, well established eggfest. If you are asking about the N. GA fest, this is the first year for it. If you are going to buy demo eggs, I would put your order in ASAP for either location.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    This is 2 larges in the back of a Ford Expedition:

Christmas2009023.jpg

My friend that packed these in the SUV said 4 XL's should fit in your Suburban with no problem.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    Does the suburban have a hitch? You may want to visit your local U-Haul dealer, if you plan on carrying more than just the EGGS. Just don't hit any major bumps. :whistle:
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    benny wrote:
    Im getting an xl ...and three friends want an XL, and two not sure on xl or large.
    So, just to make sure the count is straight...
    1 XL = You
    3 XL = Friends 1-3
    1 XL or LG = Friend 4
    1 XL or LG = Friend 5
    ...for a total of six eggs, with all of them possibly being XL's?

In addition to the space requirements, what's the weight capacity of a Suburban? At 205lbs a piece, that's some serious ceramic to be hauling.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    For 6 (4 XL and 2 L or 6 XL) you will need to fold the middle seat down and leave the rear seat at home. Be sure to bring some extra blankets or padding to just stuff between and around. The nests should break down easily to fit in and around the eggs. Be sure to bring a small set of tools (screwdriver and wrenches) to break the nests down. Wife can be tied to top if necessary but I would be considerate. Bring goggles.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Wise One wrote:
    Wife can be tied to top if necessary but I would be considerate. Bring goggles.
    Great ... now I have to wipe the iced tea off of my monitor!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • benny
    Options
    sweet!....im gonna get my reservations annd orders placed
  • benny
    Options
    sorry for confusion...it is confirmed a total of 4 xl

weight is no problem. it appears space wont be either

the od of an xl is 26.5" however at the highest point of the inside walls of a suburban , the diameter of the eggs will allow them to sit. so i should be good. 50" wide at base of suburban. plenty of height.

might even strap two in the back seat!
  • benny
    Options
    or maybe i can put one my egg in the front seat and have her ride in the back.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    benny, I old you they would fit :P good luck and let us know how the trip was.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer