Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking with DO question?

Options
Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. I am planning my first cook with a cast iron dutch oven this weekend. Gonna do a chuck roast with veggies. I'm not sure how to set up the Egg for this type cook. Is it direct? Plate setter? Plate setter with feet? Any tips?

TIA
Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've used the recipe in the cookbook section under Beef, look for Dutch Oven Pot Roast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    you can go direct or inderect with feet. start at 300 dome and adjust up or down til it has a nice light simmer.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You can either use the plate setter with legs up, or a pizza stone sitting on your cooking grate.

If you have the camp style oven (the one with the legs) you will have less chance of overheating the bottom. If you have the flat bottom one, using the green feet or some kind of spacer underneath is an option. Not mandatory... just an option.

You don't need a really hot fire as the DO is a great conductor of heat. You just want to braise the roast, keeping the liquid at a low boil.

I generally start off my roast on the Egg for color and smokey flavor. You can read all about how I do them here

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/12/beef-chuck-roast.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I prefer indirect.Platesetter,300-325 dome.The feet depend on what type DO you have.If it is a camp DO it will already have feet on the bottom.If it is a smooth bottom DO I would use some type spacers to raise it off the platesetter so there will be airspace between the DO and the platesetter.There are several setups that work.This is just my favorite.Good Luck.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Here is my set up. No feet, platesetter with legs down. It will depend on how large your DO is. 250-275 dome is good for this cook.

CIMG3514.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i also like to cook the meat with the liquid less than half way up, it forms a nice crust that way with the fall apart interior

100_1439.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Love using the DO with an egg, perfect match.

Thirdeye's cook is great as is the link 2fategghead put up.

I love using the spider with a DO
    droast2.jpg

I don't cook indirect with the DO as it does not need it, the DO does the work itself. The pan in the next picture is used because my ceramic DO is smaller and the bottom will not fit on top of the Spider without falling through.
    chili1.jpg

Below is a link to one of my favorite egg/DO cooks. The read is a bit long but the cook is very easy and hands off.
    doroast7.jpg

Pot Roast on the Dutch Oven & Egg

Which ever method you use the results will be fantastic.

Enjoy. GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's the worst looking chicken i have ever seen, fish. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante