Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strip and taters

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put some quartered red potatoes in an iron skillet with some onions, salt, etc on my xtra lg BGE. After a bit, I'm gonna cook my first strips. I'm gonna cook em to about 130-135 and check with my thermapen but am wondering when I should put my meat on and at what temp, how long, etc. I'm hoping my taters and steak are done at about the same time. Thoughts?

EDIT: taters are on at 350F

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    how hot is your egg now?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Options
    oops, forgot to say....350
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    dsmith, I just put on some baking potato's. I am baking my potato's 400F dome indirect. When the potato's are done I will put my steaks on. Steaks do not take very long to grill and when done you rest them 10 min's.

Now I don't trex my steaks

I don't hot tub them either.

I just sear for a period of time

then twist to a new spot for a period of time

then flip to a new spot for a period of time

then twist to a new spot.

Your timing depends on your steak. After the searing I check the temps then raise the grid and the steaks for the finish.Tim ;)
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I would probably finish off the taters and wrap them in foil. Open up the vents on the egg and get it around 600 and sear the steaks on each side. If they are not too thick then you can hot tub them in the sink so that it brings up the temp and start off searing 60 seconds a side and repeat until it is at your internal temp. It won't take long...maybe 7 or so total minutes but it does depend on the size of the steaks. This is what I do when I'm doing bake potatoes and steaks.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Then I would say it is completely up to you on how comfortable you are at adjusting the temp on your egg. You will get a lot of different opinions from different posters. Personally I would probably say leave the potatoes on 350 for about 35 minutes, then start to increase the temperature of the egg to at least 475 degrees, if not higher. Depends on how comfortable you are at cooking at high temps. Once you get the egg to a temp you are comfortable cooking at, pull the potatoes and do your thing with the steaks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Lets see some pics :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    We want pic's. ;)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    After the searing I check the temps then raise the grid and the steaks for the finish.[/quot

I will try this next time. I have done the trex and the flip, flip, but not the 'raise the grid' :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Scott, You may know I sear using the spider and ci grid.

The method I use to sear MY steaks is usually complete after the sear. If not or if I'm grilling a London broil or tri-tip I simply pull the meat and place my Adjustable Rig (AR)in on top of the spider assembly. Put the steaks on a higher grid on the AR push a maverick food probe in the meat and close the dome. (it gets tricky here as well and you may want to use your thermapen instead of the maverick because most of the time the maverick if off. You will discover this when you check it in boiling water and compare your findings with your thermapen. If your maverick is off and you chose to use it. You may want to take all this into account)

Keep in mind after pulling your meat and resting covered for (depending on the size) 10 to 20 min's your Internal Temp (IT)may go up another 5F or 10F or more degrees so you may want to pull your steak sooner from the grid. ;) did you get all that :laugh: