Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal top sticking

MemphisQue
MemphisQue Posts: 610
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know a solution to the metal top sticking? It appears to be soot and it fairly difficult to open after shutting it down the next time I am ready to cook. I wonder if there is a good/safe cleaning agent and what will prevent from happening in future - thanks.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Your solution is to take it off after a cook and place it on the grid. Use the ceramic top to snuff the fire.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • If you are talking about the cast iron vent-top, no need to clean it. Mine does the same thing. I just bump it with my hand when I drag the unit out of the garage.

Taking it off and lightly dropping it on the table also works. (A few inches from the table top, probably don't want to drop it from up high.)

The fire/smoke/soot/grease will keep it "seasoned" and prevent rusting, just like a good ol' cast iron pot.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    It also helps to keep your setting from moving when opening.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Most here will tell you to put it inside after each use so it will keep the yuck burnt off - only problem that also leads to a rusty Daisy. I instead prefer to soak mine in household ammonia over night whenever it gets gunky like you describe. A stiff bush under running water in the morning - or 24 hours if really messy - will take care of the problem and as a side benefit no rust!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks. I'd prefer to clean it up once in awhile.