Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I "Ham" my Butt?!?!?!

LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have been working on a cuban pork recipe, which is a butt rubbed with lots of garlic, cumin, and oregano, and then marinaded in OJ, lime, and sherry overnight (recipe calls for 12 to 24 yours). Cooks about 4 hours at 350 in a pan with juices and a foil tent. Made it last weekend at river, and it was incredible (although had to cook it in the oven).

Last night I went about 40 hours on my marinade (more is always better, right :whistle: :ermm: ), and came out with a little bit of a funky flavor, like when I have hammed ribs by trying to over rub and mustard for too long...

Could someone again please explain the ham flavor process, is it the acid in the mustard (and OJ for the cuban roast) that causes the change in the pork? It was not oversalted (about 1 tsp in the rub for a 9 lb butt). Will be interesting to see how the left overs taste tonight....

Great week to all!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not sure about the pork/ham, but I once marinated a leg of lamb that had lots of lemon/lime juice and due to unforseen changes in plans it sat for 3 days and was tuff. The acid made like a seviche, just TOOO long in the frig.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    65503c53.jpg

Sounds like you're making a Cuban mojo... only the ones I make don't have sherry or lime juice. Don't know why the flavor turned on you but I do know that acids from the juices will have some tenderizing effects, as the acid helps break down the collagen in the meat. But too long in an acid will begin to cook the meat.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you didn't cure it. salt and nitrite are what cure things

but the acid in OJ and lime can make things go funky.

they denature the proteins, making the meat mushy at first then translucent and almost firmer, as if the food is cooked.

you see the cooknbiker post about her tuna being 'parcooked' by the acids? almost like ceviche.

i think every one of us early on at some point think that the OJ, being sweet and flavorful, will be a great thing to marinate in. and it isn't :laugh: . certainly not for long anyway

save the oj for sauces, or just short term flavoring baths..

even if you had the right amount of salt and nitrite to make a ham, it would take that butt more than a couple days to become ham
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Did the meat have a solution added to it before you purchased it?