Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I nuts?

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota Posts: 173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to go to bed, alarm is set for 2:30AM. Going to fire up the egg for a 10lb brisket for my sons birthday tomorrow. Outside temp is 29º and falling!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not around this bunch your not nuts.
    Have to ask about your handle.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    NOPE!.....But you ARE an EGGHEAD! :laugh: ;)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would say start it earlier than that. A 10lb brisket can easily take 15 hours and then you should let it rest atleast an hour. You are much better having it done early wrapped in foil in a cooler than kicking up temps to finish it and then not having time to let it rest. I am doing a 14lb brisket for tomorrows dinner and it has been on for a couple hours already.
  • Mickey wrote:
    Not around this bunch your not nuts.
    Have to ask about your handle.

I used to autocross alot back in the 80's. I had just finished building a new Toyota and was exercising it for the first time; I lost traction on the last corner before the timing lights and went thru them backwards at about 40mph screaming "OHHHHHHHHHHH SH#%@%@%!!!!!!!!!"

The timing crew found it humorous and started calling me Banzaitoyota
  • Lit wrote:
    I would say start it earlier than that. A 10lb brisket can easily take 15 hours and then you should let it rest atleast an hour. You are much better having it done early wrapped in foil in a cooler than kicking up temps to finish it and then not having time to let it rest. I am doing a 14lb brisket for tomorrows dinner and it has been on for a couple hours already.

OK, advice taken, firing the egg up now!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Very good advice!Like Lit said,you want to rest it anyway and it will rest as good for 4 hours as 1.Way easier to keep it a while than to have to rush it.Especially for an event like you are hosting.Never give the INlaws more ammo than they need! :laugh:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good story. Thanks and the best on the beef.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    If you're nuts .... then so am I. I started a pulled pork cook at 7:00 last night. Temps were projected to fall to below 15°F. Got up this morning and the temp was 21°F. I'm a bit disappointed, actually. My cook should be done in a couple of hours! It sure smells good!
  • Pulled it off at 3:30PM Temp held all day at 250º. Family devoured it. Spent the day with my son and his new shotgun we got him for his birthday. Daughter and her husband came over and we all shot guns all afternoon. All in all an excellent day
  • You are only nuts if you are a vegetarian.