Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Midwest Egg events?

smokeystover
smokeystover Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm brand new here, so forgive me if I'm missing something, but I'd love to attend one of these great Egg events to see first hand how things are done.

Looking at the scheduled events, the closest one I see is Winston-Salem NC.
I'm in southern Ohio (not far from Cincinnati), so that's about an eight hour drive for me.

Can anyone tell me if there is likely to be anything closer?

Thanks in advance
Ed

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    On Saturday, June 4th will be the 9th annual Peoria Eggfest in Peoria, IL. Also some time in September will be the 4th annual one in Oswego, IL near Chicago. As Bob Barker used to say "Come on down (or over or up)!"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The list only includes fests that have been officially announced. Since most of the fests are in the summer, it's a little early yet. I don't think the Oswego banner went up until June or July last year.

That said, I don't know if I've seen any Ohio fests, but there's usually an Indianapolis fest, and I think there's a Louisville one as well. There were also rumors of someone starting one just south of Lexington, but I never heard anything more.
  • That sounds great. Indy and Louisville are both only about two hours from me.
    I'll be watching for them.

Thanks!
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I'm Jealous. Jungle Jim territory. Not fair. I make two pilgrimages a year. Maybe we can connect.
  • If you're a fan, you should know that he's going to open a second Jungle next year.
    It will be in what used to be a Bigg's at the Ohio 32 exit from I-275 on the east side of Cincinnati.

Can't possibly have everything the Fairfield store has, but should be great, anyway!
  • PattyO
    You know what Walt Disney said after his second Three Little Pigs cartoon was a flop? You can't top pigs with pigs. I'll stick with Fairfield. It's my Mecca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sorry I took you literally and assumed you meant the Midwest! How people got to calling Ohio as Midwest has always baffled me - to me it's almost an Eastern state!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I am a habitual Jungle Jim shopper -there twice in the last weekend. Found out they have a Cigar Sampling on Thurs nights - might be going more often! Still no Dizzy Pig products there - at least I have never found them.
    Smokeystover - we are close - I am in Mason. We find a couple of more eggheads and we can have our own fest!
  • PattyO
    I met Bitslammer and Capt Frank and Eenie Meanie when I was there in August. Yes, out own fest!! Mason, Carabbas! Can't wait for Spring for another go round.
    Have you requested Dizzy Pig? Egg dealers carry some of his rubs. Try their cherry or cranberry nut bread. I think my friend and I ate a whole loaf on the way home. I'm six hours from JJs. Beaver Falls, PA. on the Ohio state line 40 miles NW of Pittsburgh.
  • PattyO
    There is a small egg fest in Zelienople, PA the first of August. It's the Pittsburgh Fest.
  • I was wondering if there were any near Pittsburgh. I am a new egger, so I will have to at least check out the one in Zelie. I live in Moon Township, near the Pittsburgh airport.
  • PattyO
    You are only a half hour from me. We have to get together. I egged tonite, flank steak. The other fests I've been to are Nieggara, DC Metrofest. Plan to attend Melbourne, FL and Waldorf, MD and anything else within 8 hrs drive. What egg do you have, where did you get it, how long ago? We're neighbors!!!
  • We are very close to each other. I was just in Beaver today, so I was just across the river from you.

I got a medium egg for Christmas. We got it at Comfort Living Fireplaces on Route 65 in Emsworth. It was a total surprise and I absolutely love it. Tonight I smoked some Steelhead trout and chicken breasts. My next endeavor will be a brisket. I haven't tried a real low and slow yet. I feel like I got the best Christmas gift ever.

Linda
  • PattyO
    I got mine in June in Zelie. A medium, but a week later I ordered a mini. I live alone and the med is too big for a lot of things I do. I love using both at diff temps or one indirect. Very versatile, better than a large. Lately I've been having fun with smoke. Smoked eggs for egg salad, smoked nuts, and smoked cheese. I want to do shrimp sometime. I've done turkey wings too. At the fests I bake bread, but may do some smoking too. Planning baklava, apple tart tatin, and a French onion/anchovy tart. I want to demonstrate that the egg is for more than grilling. Have a great time using it in winter. My friends don't believe it.
  • Suggested Jungle Jims on the Dizzy Pig website. We'll see what happens. Till then -keep cooking!
  • How do you bake the bread? I am wanting to try that. I am waiting for my plate setter, I had to order one. I have made pizza a couple of times and it turned out great. I just did it with indirect heat using a pizza pan. I love the crisp crust. My Dad bakes a lot of bread and wants to try baking it on the gg.

My friends are also intrigued by the egg. They are also surprised I can do this in the dead of winter. The egg is so amazing. I don't want to use my stove at all.
  • PattyO
    Use any recipe. Stabilize the egg temp. The set up is plate setter legs down, spacers and baking stone. Flat bread of loaf pan on the baking stone. I do challah and whole wheat in stoneware loaf pans, and Naan flat bread. I like stone pans from Panpered chef and some other unglazed pottery. I tried English muffins but they didn't work out. I'll give them another try. I've done pineapple upside down cake in an iron skillet.
    Have you tried 00 flour for your pizza crust? You can get it at Penn Mac, I can give you the directions.
  • I haven't tried the 00 flour yet.....

I was not sure where to buy it. I did not think of trying Penn Mac. I need to make a trip to the Strip anyway. I will have to check that out.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Patty,

What is 00 flour if I may ask?

Jer
  • It's all in your point of view, isn't it?

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY, and we considered anything west of the Hudson to be pretty much wilderness.
  • PattyO
    Italian import. Robin Hood has it too, called Italian flour. Very soft but high in protein. Great stretchability. Superb crust. Ask your local pizzaria if they use it. Some Italian specialty stores carry it, but not all stores. I've searched and found one in Pittsburgh. www.pennmac.com They ship.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Thank You. I will have to put it on my things to look for list give it a try after I find some.
  • I've always wondered why OH and MI don't have Eggfests. Seems with 20 million people between the two states, there's be an Eggfest in one of the other. Then again, knowing the amount of work it probably takes to put one on maybe not so surprising.