Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curing Smoked Cheese

TXTriker
TXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I didn't want to hi-jack Patty's question so I'm asking here.

It's my understanding I don't want to cure my smoked cheese in my home refrigerator. Is this true? Is there an alternative if we don't have an extra refrigerator?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    By cure, you mean letting them rest and mellow? I do that in the main fridge. I've never understood why some think it imparts smoke on stuff in the fridge.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • First time i placed the freshly smoked cheese in regular Ziploc bags -- and the whole fridge and food tasted like smoke!
    Next few times I wrapped the cheeses in plastic wrap and then Ziplock -- much better
    Then discovered the Ziplock Vacuum BAgs -- Eurika!
    Like them because you can reseal/revacuum B)

Only have 1 fridge :)

Have 3 kinds smoking right now :woohoo:
  • cookn biker
    You're right about proper packaging Kari. I usually do seran and ziplock.
    I think I'll do a batch this weekend.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Ray, did u see Ripnem's pic post on the exploding potato? -- was in the discussion we had B)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Assess, what a guy.
  • TXTriker
    No, I couldn't find it. I did a search on exploding potatoes, on Ripnem's name, and then scanned the whole day back to yesterday. Any hints where it is hiding from me? :)
  • TXTriker
    :ermm:

I wasn't sure which of these looked confused.
  • TXTriker
    The reason I ask, I kind of like sleeping in the house. I don't think the refrig smelling like smoke and then everything in it smelling like smoke would go over too well.
  • cookn biker
    I think that packaging it well is the key Ray.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • TXTriker
    Thank you Molly.
  • TXTriker
    Adam, please explain this. The only time I ever pierce a potatoe is in the micro. Susie probably does in the oven too but those oven baked are rare to never. I've never had this experience. All you need is butter! Temp?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I learned here that a spud is done at 200-210. Regarding when to poke them, I'd say anytime you cook one. You can get a spud with a skin tight enough to build up enough pressure to burst, in a micro, an oven or an egg. Unless your boiling them. I'm also guessing that it was a bit overcooked.

No real loss, just stuffed as much as I could back in and served it to my son. :P

Cool thing is my dog and I got to hear it happen. We went :huh:
  • I'm in the same park as Molly and Kari...
    Wrap it, stick it in a freezer Zip-Lock...No problems mate!!