Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Crockpot Savory Goodness Reuse

Options
cocktails42
cocktails42 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok, not an egg topic BUT....you guys knows yer stuff soooo....

I did 7 chicken breasts in the crockpot. Pulled em out...and threw a gigantic pork picnic roast in the crockpot.

All said and done, I put the crockpot with liquid goo left inside in the fridge overnight.

Next day I skimmed off the fat so I can fry something with it later (or fix that squeak in the lawn chair).

After skimming the fat and freezing it, what I had left was a gooey gelatinous mix of italian dressing, chicken fat, pork fat, ketchup, mustard, sliced onion, lipton onion soup mix.....and it smelled GREAT.

Not knowing what to do with it...I threw it away. But should I have saved it for something? Another crockpot adventure. To be used while playing Twister???

Oh wise ones, please chime in.....

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    IMHO you got some real conflicting flavors there, I don't see using it for anything except a possible mother-in-law dish :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    cocktails42,

If it smelled good, it probably would have tasted good. Next time, put a half a cup in a small pot and add a starch and water to thicken it and try. You can get some great stuff by accident, I know I do ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    Or base for a soup. A bit of extra stock, some veg, some starch... Robert's your mother's brother!
  • cocktails42
    Options
    with so much italian dressing in there, I'd be reluctant to make much of anything except maybe a marinade out of the stuff.

Thing is, I just totally lack experience in "stretching" things out to new uses.

Maybe I should have done a ton of potatoes in that stuff. I just don't know. Maybe sorta cook/marinate them in it a while, cubed large, then on the Egg to brown them up?