Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal score!/Maverick ET-73

Options
walrusegger
walrusegger Posts: 314
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to my in-laws in Ruckersville, VA (near Charlottesville) this weekend to celebrate my father-in-laws 60th bday. The new Wallyworld in town sells Royal Oak lump, so I stocked up! Also, my gift to my father-in-law (fellow egger who turned me on to egging) was a Maverick ET-73. We set it up to do the ham they served at the party. Here it is monitoring the ham/grid temps from the comfort of their kitchen. And yeah...I ordered myself one too when I placed the order last week!

royaloak.jpg
et73.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great lump I use it all the time. The et-73 should serve you well but, did you know they just came out with the upgrade for the et-73 called et-732 and from what I understand it has several up grades...hey don't get me wrong the et-73 should serve you well.

I have a you tube video of a dot com site that did a review and sells them. Look here. Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUk8-AHa4tQ&feature=player_embedded
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Great Score!...

Heck I grew up in Springfield..well actually N. Springfield.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If it were me, and if you can cancel the 73 and get the 732. There are some fantastic improvements, some of which are: long TX/RX range; The on/off switch has been moved to the outside of the unit - so no more opening the back to turn the switch on; higher temperature probes and more.

GG
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

If it were me, and if you can cancel the 73 and get the 732. There are some fantastic improvements, some of which are: long TX/RX range; The on/off switch has been moved to the outside of the unit - so no more opening the back to turn the switch on; higher temperature probes and more.

GG

and..... finally a signal that works on the remote inside the house for me B)

Been playing with mine all weekend and love the improvements.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    The ET-73 served me well .... until I found something better. For me, the Stoker wins hands down. But, that's just me.

I like RO lump - cooks good, maintains a good and *usually* consistant temperature. But, I've found that Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is much better suited. Higher percentage of large pieces and much, much less of the useless small/fines and a lot less ash production. Really good stuff, even at the best price I can find it at. I'm trying to get my local BGE dealer to carry it instead of (or in addition to) Cowboy Lump.

Anyway, I think you are well situated with the ET-73 (or the ET-732 if you go that route) and the RO fuel.