Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block - Worth Money

Options
BGE Convert
BGE Convert Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let me know your thoughts on the use of a Himalayan salt block for cooks. Does it do a better job of imparting flavor than just simply cooking a appropriately seasoned steak?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think folks are attracted to the novelty of the salt, but i really think the ideas behind it is MASS.

a cast iron pan is great for searing, but even those require you to flip meat onto a 'new' hot section in order to maintain sear temps. if you just flip meat back onto the same spot, that area is generally cooler than a part of the pan next to it. i gotta figure that a big old block ofstone (which is what the salt block is, after all) will hold temps really well.

i'm sure it adds salt flavor, but as you said, that could be done in a pan.

if i were considering one, i'd wanna find out how it is traditionally used, to see if it is based in reality, or just a sales gimmick based on the novelty of the salt.

never really have to clean it though, just wipe it off while still hot. can't see a reason to even wash it. ...and that might be reason enough to buy one :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I did this the other day and there are some interesting comments. I would do it again. Going to try some boneless, skinless chix breasts soon.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1005200&catid=1
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    BGE Convert:
    Here is a cook we did several months back...
    I would definately consider this a novelty cook. As you will see in the post, the slim pieces of beef we seared still needed seasoning. The salt block is nothing I would turn to for every day cooks. Break it out at a party perhaps, but definately does not do better than seasoning your steak and simply grilling, imo. The following post will give you additional info.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=722654&catid=1
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Fun to serve Sushi or deviled eggs.