Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max turkey

Options
pci
pci Posts: 249
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My turkey turn out great. Had plate setter legs up green feet on setter & my pan on the feet with the turkey on a v rack. The pan is ruin all the apple juice & drippings boiled away & left heavy black crud in pan I can not remove. Wife not to happy this was her good cake pan :( I had dome at 350 was this to high?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    been there - done that! Buy her a new pan as you'll NEVER get it back to her satisfaction - I know! :laugh:
    IMG_2735.jpg

Look on the bright side though now you have your very own pan and in the future you should line it with heavy duty foil to make clean up a breeze!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokinFizx
    Options
    Did you but anything under the pan or was it sitting directly on the plate setter? I found that if I put little foil balls or even the egg feet under the pan they seldom burn.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    If your turkey was small - 10-12 #, then it probably didn't produce enough 'juice' to keep the pan from drying out. Larger turkeys seem to make enough juices. For future cooks, when you are basting and notice the pan juices deminishing just add more wine or some stock to keep it from burning.
    In the meantime, follow RRP's marriage counseling and get her a new cake pan - best $$ you'll spend. ;) :woohoo:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    you know that happened so many years ago I don't even recall what meat I was roasting when I had used/ruined that round cake pan. Now I always line it with foil. It actually is my favorite go-to drip pan now since at 12 x 2 it sits nicely atop my plate sitter and catches the drippings of whatever I'm cooking far better than a square or rectangular pan does. Making the best from a bad situation! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    One thing you could try is to squirt a good amount of liquid dishwasher soap (Cascade, e.g) and fill with hot water. Let if sit overnight. No idea if it'll do any good, but that stuff is pretty potent. Worth a shot anyway.

Or buy a new one. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut