Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is gonna sound dumb but...

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
has anyone ever done a pot roast on the egg? At www.foodsubs.com they explain a lot of different cuts of meat, saying that the pot roasts "are economical roasts that are too tough to be oven roasted, but they become tender if cooked in a liquid for several hours."[p]I know we've found ways to make tough meat good on the egg, but I don't recall anyone mentioning this particular cut. I am searching the archives as we speak, but if anyone knows of a good way, we're all ears...[p]Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Mark Backer, I've tried several times without very good sucess. Rubbed only twice, Marinated once, 250°, 300°, and 350° rack temps. I tend to fall back on slow braising for this cut.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Doesn't sound dumb to me....I just haven't ever done it. Let me know how it comes out.[p]Mike

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    i believe 'pot roast' is more of a cooking term than a particular cut of meat. .. i 'pot roast' brisket for jewish holidays all the time (did 3 of them last week for chanukah). . .and you are correct, its a method where by you use liquid to make the meat tender... [p]here is what i do for mine in the egg. . .[p]take a brisket (i use flats for this). .. lay it in a large pot or casserole. ..cover it about halfway with a good hearty red wine. .. sprinkle two packets of liptons onion soup mix on top....set up the egg w/grid over inverted plate setter at 350 dome temp (baically egg as oven). . .put pot on grid for one hour uncovered. .. after one hour, add more wine to get to original level, add some baby carrots and pearl onions and cover tightly (and i mean tightly) with aluminum foil. . .let cook for two more hours. ... remove and slice. .. .the pot will be full of really delicious juice to serve over the meat. .. unlike a smoked brisket, you want to slice this one real thin. ..best way to serve is take a shallow casserole, lay the thinly sliced brisket in it, and then pour the juices/carrots/onion on top of it... .[p]its delicious. . .

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Mark,
    I tried one over the weekend. 7 bone roast on top of veggies in dutch oven for 3 1/2 hours indirect @ 325 degrees. I applied a rub 24 hours in advance.
    It was OK but not as good as I remember it from my childhood, used to be a very common dish.
    Could have been the cook & not the meat.
    bruce

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    By all means, give it a try.
    I cannot believe that it took me as long to try as it did.[p]Enjoy,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Prime Chuck Roast[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That sounds awesome. I like how you seem to use wine on a lot of your stuff. [p]The cut is actually a 'beef chuck shoulder roast.' does this help in the description any or change how I should or can cook it?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    i think you could do it the same way. .. i've only done briskets. .. btw... here are some pics[p]in the pot with the wine and onion soup mix
    DSCN0166.jpg[p]in the egg, after one hour, carrots and onions added, ready to seal it up. .. [p]DSCN0168.jpg[p]and sliced. .. [p]DSCN0170.jpg[p]don't know that you need more or less time for the cut you have. .. .you could always go longer, the worst that will happen is that it will be so fork tender it will fall apart on you. ..[p]and you know i do use a fair amount of wine in cooking. . .funny thing is i can't stand the taste of the stuff to drink it. ..any of it, red, white, doesn't matter, i hate it....but i love it in cooking. .. go figure. . ..

• Mark Backer, seems like "pulled beef" out of chuck roast was one of the StumpBabys specialties. I'm sure you have heard of him, I am anxious for you to meet him on a post cause I'm sure that would be a blast. But yea , I've done one before while I was doing a brisket and it was pretty good. I'll try and find you some more info in case the Stump don't get back with you first, I don't think he's bashfull or nothing but maybe a little modest.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    ive had some that came out great and some that went into the freezer for chili at a later date when they were not so great

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Were we separated at birth when the circus left town or something? I hate wine for drinking in every form: red, white, rose, zinfandel. Oh sure, in college I partook of a little fortified wine, but that was for affect not flavor. [p]But cook anything for me in wine, in a wine sauce, or with wine in it, and I love it. [p]Good advice on the pot roast. I think we're gonna have to drop it in the freezer and save it until next week when I'm home. I plan to try a lot of different stuff on humpty next week. Since I'll be home for ten straight days, you can expect a LOT of my brilliant postings and cooking photos and updates. [p]Hope you're all as excited as I am. LOL
  • clausenk
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]On a K I have done chuck roasts plain on an indirect grill and in a pot with liquid uncovered. Both excellent, but my favorite way is to cook lo and slo indirect rubbed with Dizzy Pig or Cowlick for 4 hours and then to wrap in foil with the liquid of your choice (wine, apple juice, BBQ sauce, etc) for 2 to 4 more hours until the falling aprt stage. You get the taste benefits of smoke and tenderness benefits of liquid this way.[p]Clausen

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Ive done pot roast on my egg several times
    not realy much to it.
    I get aout a 4 pounder,Im not picky about what cut long as it is cheap, usualy 1.99 to 2.49 per lb chuck or round or whatever is on sale.use only simple seasoning on the meat (Salt and corse ground black pepper)
    I dump a little corn or peanut oil in my 12 qrt cast iron dutch oven (it has little legs on the bottom ) put it over a gas burner get it hot enough that the oil starts to smoke
    then I sear it on all sides.
    I open two cans of store bought beef both (also the cheapest I can find as I cant tell any differance in the $1.29 a can swansons or the .50 cent a can walmart stuff.and 2 cans of campbells golden mushroom soup.
    an 1 packet of powdered french onion soup mix.
    I dump in the beef broth,soup, and about a cup of red wine (I like marsella(SP) then I put the Dutch oven in the egg stable at 250-275 on an inverted plate setter.
    I do not put any veggies in at this point cause I think carots and celery get bitter if they are cooked to long and tatters tend to turn to mush.
    I let it simmer for bout an hour and a half, open if I want a little smokey taste in the pot roast if not I put the lid on and let it cook for at least 3 hours before I add the veggies, I use carots celery, and potatoes.But sometimes I cook the roast all by its self (I actualy like it better that way with the veggies cooked seperatly)
    If I am going to incorperate veggies into the pot with my roast I turn the rost over at when I add them.This is also where I would put in the herbs if I wanted them (sage, chilie powder bay leaves,Garlic or what ever)from there it takes about 2 hours more.
    then I remove the beef and the veggies(if any) and pour the liquid in a sauce pan. you can reduce the liquid a little to make a great gravy. anyhow that how I do it and the stuff is so tender you have trouble gettin out of the pot.

• clausenk, it's kinda like when I talk about cooking a HAM lo and slo till it can be pulled like a boston butt, I get all these folks telling me it's a dumb idea...well to each his own but I will say it certainly can be done and it can be done with a chuch roast as well...check out the link

[ul][li]pulled beef[/ul]
  • ToyCollector
    Options
    Max,[p]From the pics, it looks like you do trim a good amount of the fat off, but it also looks like a lot disolves. Any idea what you trim the fat cap down to?[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ToyCollector,
    when i do these, i'm typically buying small (3.5 - 4 pound) flats at my safeway, and they have already been heavily trimmed. . so all thats left is a small partial fat cap, that i leave on to provide moisture and flavor to the wine/soup mix. . .i then trim it back (heck it almost peels right off) when i go to carve it... .

• Mark Backer, I haven't done a pot roast, but two great batches of stew have come out of my egg. Same basic method as Glenn's. Used my coleman camp stove to sear the stew meat, beef broth, ginness stout. I roast carrots, onions and potatoes on the egg first until they caramelize Put the roasted veggies in the stock, with some raw veggies, gives me two levels of flavor. Lid off the dutch oven for first hour with some misquit(sp). Then lid on. I have a vita mixer and put most of the veggies and the broth into it when the meat is tender, (3 to 4 hours). This thickens the broth with out the use of roux, No oil and no flour. Great if you have a girl friend who is allergic to wheat. The slight smoke is great. FrlsFltdr