Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Turkey question?!?

Options
Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to do a "trial run" using the Mad Max turkey method. As you can see below the turkey came out a little too dark!:whistle: I followed the directions as far as heat and at what time to pull... I did use a turkey pan with "V" rack and the minute I noticed it was getting too dark, I tented it with foil. For smoke I used 1 chunk of pecan and 1 chunk of peach wood. Could this be the problem?? Besides replacing the cook, do ya'll have any suggestions?

41f307f6.jpg

0a50ce83.jpg

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    What temp were you at , and did you calibrate your thermometer to make sure it's accurate? I do mine around 325* - 350*
  • Mflyer
    Options
    I cooked at 325 using the DigiQ.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    What internal temps? 160 breast, 185 thighs/legs? Was your bird completely thawed out?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My guess is that the solids in the herb butter got a little burnt. Or maybe not burnt, but just more brown than you'd like. From the look of the first picture, I'd guess the butter was near room temperature. Perhaps chill the butter, and place some under the skin. Then, during the cook, rub more on the warm bird several times.

And, perhaps you didn't have a clean enough smoke. The smoke should be very thin, and sort of "blue." If you had thick white billows, there was too much un-combusted stuff in the smoke. Let the Egg burn till the smoke is thin before putting anything in. Also, you can let the temp be a little higher at the start so the cold carcass doesn't drop the dome temperature too much.
  • Mflyer
    Options
    Yeah, I pulled at 160 breast and give or take 185 thighs/legs. It was completely thawed….I have done beer can chickens in the past and they all have turned out nice! I know we are talking about to different birds, but you would think they would come out similar. Although, now thinking about it I did use EVOO on the outside of the chickens instead of butter.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Using a lot of smoke on poultry usually isn't recommended for the simple reason, poultry soaks up a ton of smoke and will tend to overpower the poultry meat.

Was the skin burned/crisped or was it just dark from the smoke?
  • Mflyer
    Options
    It was crisp but didn't have that charred/burnt taste!
  • Sundown
    Options
    then there's a good chance it may have been a combination of all of the above. My first move would be to reduce the amount of smoke first and, then go reread what gdenby wrote. Somewhere in there is your answer.

Or, maybe after all of this it was just a turkey that browned more than any of the others. Still looked good!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i think you hit the nail on the head carey ...pecan smoke definitely adds color ....i love pecan on my turkey, but i find i have to tent much earlier than with apple or cherry ...if it didn't have burnt/crisp texture or taste, then who cares if it was a bit darker? .. . i've had my birds come out darker from time to time but they were still fantastic and done perfectly ...
  • Mflyer
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • Sundown
    Options
    One of my first turkeys came out very dark all over and I didn't use any wood at all. Since then it looks 'normal' with a tight tan and the right 'crisp'.

Have a great holiday and 'hey' to The Spawn
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Tent it with foil as soon as you put on.
  • Loquitur
    Options
    I prefer olive oil to butter on the skin of my turkey because it doesn't get as dark as with the butter. It still comes out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside and makes a beautiful presentation.