Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A blog post about brining

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just saw this very interesting blog post about the pros and cons of wet-brining and dry-brining. The blogger is a former instructor at CIA.

http://ahungerartist.bobdelgrosso.com/2010/11/brining-nuanced-view.html

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do not do the brining on my spatchcocked turkeys. Buy my wife will brin with her oven turkeys.
    I like mine better, reason we do 2 at Thanksgiving....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    I stopped brining because it made things too salty. Probably not for most people, but we don't add much salt to foods so brined meats seemed especially salty to us.
    I don't know, maybe we are doing it wrong :)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Did you rinse after the brine and let the meat rest for several hours before cooking? If you take those two steps, I think you'll find the saltiness greatly reduced.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    For me, brining the turkey has paid dividends. I have been doing it for about 10 years. Adding seasonings to the brine will get the flavor into the turkey and not just on the skin.
    We celebrate Thanksgiving at my daughter's house. I've been bringing the turkey. Last year they wanted to buy the turkey. I said OK. I didn't want to tell her or the son-in-law how to prepare it. I certainly remember my daughter saying how the turkey was not as good as in the past. My youngest daughter immediately said they should have brined it. I did not say a word; it was Thanksgiving.